Dream car enthusiast property!

Content NOT RELATED to the Forum. If you have other non-mercedes content to discuss, this is where to do it.
CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Dream car enthusiast property!

Post by CraigB » Wed 15 May, 2019 11:06 am

https://www.realestate.com.au/property- ... Axeqi1Rfuc

Ever think you have had enough and just want to live in car paradise debt free? This is the property of my best mate that died from brain cancer and auctioning to settle the estate. I don't know what reserve they will put on it and I don't want to mess with any opportunity for the family to get their best price and settle his debts, but to give you some sort of scale I think agents had made murmurings of around $650k and if they don't get that it will go to the bank. All this for the price of your average suburban home. Its just the wrong time for me and family or I would be after it. I've spent so much time there and it really is paradise for me - so peaceful and surrounded by nature from a life time of planting of local and endemic species plus an incredible orchard that we have been taking boxes of incredible fruit from for years. Even an aquaponics setup where he farmed his own fish and yabbies, using the system to also grow lettuce etc. You can see the Murray River from the verandah. One of those places that you feel miles away but hop in the car and 15 mins or so and you are in the major centres of Murray Bridge or Mannum or about an hours drive to Adelaide on really good roads.

Dave had a race car preparation business and a car collector and hence the huge shedding, but as he wound things back there seems to be good money in renting shed bays to people with ski boats - its about 2 mins from a public boat ramp so people can live in a unit in the city, knock off friday night and come up the river and pick up their boat etc. Huge solar power system, forget how many kw but he never paid electricity. Huge roofing and water storage but also has mains water. The property has 8 titles - old town subdivision blocks. New houses (2008) - really nice houses - one built over 2 of the allotments and another on one - could be sold or rented - can't remember how much rent Dave was getting - say $250 per week. Then on the back road there are another 2 full size allotments with native plantings, chooks etc and these could also be sold off without subdivision approval etc - have their own titles. Or keep them for that great feeling of space and a bit of bird watching. There is another cottage with new kitchen and bathroom that was an old school house, lovingly restored, lovely hardwood floors etc. and this was rented. This is on the same title as some of the garaging so couldn't sell off without subdivision. I would have thought great potential as air bnb etc - somewhere for the people with ski boat storage to rent. Another smaller cottage/studio big double bed in the loft and very roomy downstairs, open but lounge and another double bed room - really nice new bathroom on it. That was rented to a good mate of his who lived there for something like 20 yrs. More B and B potential.

Then the main house could do with some more restoring but lovely old farmhouse of stone with huge ceilings etc. Dave had his priorities right and restored the annex that was referred to as 'the bike room'. From the front it just looks like a room but the solid window panels slide across and opens up and there is a door off the main lounge room. It has benches and sink and a compressor plumbed in sitting in a sound proof enclosure outside. While he was in his final stages at home i purchased this rare racing car called an Asp that Dave had been keen to buy just before he got sick (in Dave's altered state of mind he thought he had purchased it) and I parked it in the room and went for a couple of runs with him, but he would wheel himself in there daily and sit there and look at it and make plans about what bits needed fixing and when. Looking back one of the most satisfying things i have ever done (and i should just continue with the plan and sell it now but just can't bring myself to part with it!)

Anyway, just thought i would share that out of interest and i know Dave would have loved to see it go to another enthusiast who could enjoy all his hard work. So pass it on to anyone who you think might be interested. I see the agent hasn't mentioned car enthusiasts and is aiming at church groups - not sure how he would feel about having all that lovely garaging turned into a church and probably all his fruit trees etc cleared for carparking....... But would just be lovely that it sold and after the whole ordeal the family can move on and not suffer the final humiliation of the bank seizing the property.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Region: New South Wales

Re: Dream car enthusiast property!

Post by AMG » Fri 17 May, 2019 7:31 pm

I remember us talking about Dave and the projects you took on his behalf.

Such a sad story. :crybaby:
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Classic 4sp auto Ardennes Green "Oswald"
2012 E63 AMG Speedshift MCT Diamantweiß "Klaus"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Fri 17 May, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks Joe. Yep, seeing the advert rakes up lots of emotion again. I really don't expect sharing it here is going to help sell it, but I thought its interesting as to how you can set a property up to enjoy your cars and get away from the rat race. If I didn't have the family and at this stage I would seriously consider the move. The advert says 12 bays but the reality is most of those bays would take 2 cars and there is a huge mezzanine for parts storage - I could have all of mine undercover and go shopping again! Without revealing numbers, I believe the reserve is set at what it would take to clear his mortgage, which you can imagine is significantly less than what the bank thought it was worth, but being rural and a bit different, you never know. The reality is the family can't hang on for the right buyer and service the mortgage, so it sells or gets handed to the bank. I think that is what is really bothering me is that 30 years of setting this all up and what i consider a dream property and with his passing it all means nothing and becomes a 'freebie' for the bank. And that's not having a go at the bank who essentially invested in the development of the property, or having a go at anyone, its being cut down in your prime by something like cancer and just the thought that you work for years and faeces happens, but then its nice to think you can pass it down the line to your family. There is just no hint of anything positive in all this so you just have to flip that and remind yourself that you are lucky to be alive and enjoy good health or the best health you can have and make the most of it.

.... anyway... thanks for 'listening'!..... maybe I should have put this in exhaust/tailpipe!!
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac

merc-304
Adenauer
Model you own: w126

Post by merc-304 » Fri 17 May, 2019 8:44 pm

Crowdfund..
Surely this can be Crowdfunded to pay the Bank out and be kept for the Family ?
380 SEC

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Sat 18 May, 2019 9:39 pm

That's a nice idea and thanks for the suggestion. If it was a wife and young kids etc. involved that would be a great idea. His kids grown up and have their own places. I said to his brother about the idea of moving there after Dave died. He took on the task as his full time carer that enabled him to get out of hospital and get home for his last 6 months or so. Don't know if you have known anyone with brain cancer and what they and the people around them go through - mood shifts, short term memory loss where they can be in tears and totally distressed they are going to die after having it explained and then have a sleep and wake up and forget all about it and start asking questions again about why they feel so faeces and can't we do something etc etc - but 'above and beyond' is an understatement. He doesn't want to forget him of course but being there in the house does his head in now - so that was a no. Best scenario now is someone gets it and appreciates all the hard work and makes it all fairly seamless and hassle free for the family. Fingers crossed.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac

Return to “Off-Topic / Unrelated Chat”