So, You want brighter lights eh?

If you're making significant mods to your Merc, Share them with us, and inspire others who are like-minded.
AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

So, You want brighter lights eh?

Post by AMG » Sat 17 May, 2008 11:58 am

Stella is undergoing some eye surgery today.

well... She has been undergoing surgery on a number of things... nip n tuck, bit of interior surgery, Lung biopsy and a bit of colonic irrigation to clear things out.

But today is Eye day.

Here's what's happening:
HID conversion 022.JPG
HID conversion must be done properly. Self levelling units are required (luckily we have vacuum levelling adjustment on the 107) and the lenses are required to be cleaned automatically (headlight wipers, yay)
Globe colour temperature is 6000K which is nice. There are lower temps available, according to your preference for whiteness (and legality - technically 6000K is as far as you can legally use)
HID conversion 016.JPG
There is a LOT of work involved, and sadly, a couple of holes to be drilled to mount the ballast and route the wiring correctly, and SAFELY. you don't want 23kV running to earth and frying the cars electrics.
HID conversion 011.JPG
HID conversion 012.JPG
Modification to the circuits to prevent the warning light from being a permanent annoyance also involves a bit of wiring harness modification. Regardless, it will be able to be returned to original if required, but given the lifespan of the globes - I'd say the car will rust in a heap before the globes require replacement.

So far, removal of wheelarch inners, a good cleaning and removal of the headlights have taken place.

Surprised to find the whole assembly is aluminium - which is great for HID (heatsink) - they will be cleaned up when I get the replacement reflectors and headlight / indicator lenses. For now, a trial fitment and test of everything is required.

Removal of the H4 globe connector & wiring is required in the back of the lamp. This can be replaced later if removal is done carefully and with consideration for the connectors.
arm+stellaHID 010.JPG
More to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Vogue SE 4sp auto Ardenne Green "Oswald"
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.

saa
Ponton
Model you own: w108

Re: So, You want brighter lights eh?

Post by saa » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 5:16 pm

how'd you go?

you doing this with the standard headlights? or retro fitting some projectors?
i'd recommend against the standard lights, your beam will scatter everywhere and dazzle everyone

i looked into it quite a bit, was reading on hidplanet i think.. amongst other sites
would love to get some american style headlights for my 108 and then do a hid/projector conversion

AMG
OZBENZ Admin

Post by AMG » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:53 am

There is no beam scatter from these lights.

Mercedes already have the scatter diffuser in the 107 reflector, and this should not be removed. Those who do remove them and rely on the one in the HID globe are asking for trouble. The fitment is H4 and there is a metal beam filter in the globe itself.

HID lights need clean glass, which is why projectors are commonly used BEHIND clear lexan covers. If you have scratched glass there will be scatter - just like on normal globes. The difference is much more noticeable on HID globes because of the narrower bandwidth of the lightwaves and the intensity. a standard globe cannot match the intensity, because it is heating a filament of metal, not producing a high voltage arc through an inert gas.

There is also an ADR requirement for beam levelling, which the 107 has (vacuum diaphragm assistance for beam adjustment) and the wipers on the lenses - to clean them automatically. Without these, the fitment is very much illegal on road cars.

The cutoff is perfectly sharp and horizontal.

the dodgy import kits available on ebay are not the same as the genuine philips kit. This kit cost about 4 times an ebay kit, and for good reason. The quality is there, the ballasts are efficient low power units, and the kit comes with everything required to mount the ballasts and there is a wiring harness to replace the existing one.
Current:
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"
Previous:
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage

saa
Ponton
Model you own: w108

Post by saa » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 3:22 pm

yeah i know all about the laws etc

didn't know the reflectors in the 107s were already ok for hid
got any photos of the install completed?

AMG
OZBENZ Admin

Post by AMG » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 4:19 pm

You can't see anything, because the wiring is all hidden, I guess I can take a pic of the lights turned on...

I'll get some on the w/e.
Current:
Previous:

Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 2:20 pm

[quote="JoeB"]Modification to the circuits to prevent the warning light from being a permanent annoyance also involves a bit of wiring harness modification.

I have fitted HIDs and would like info to get dash warning light to go out. I'm happy with the result, the light pattern has sprayed somewhat but the overall result is you can see objects clearer at distance and the foreground is akin to daylight.

As the HIDs are fed power from a single original connector, can you fit something to the unused one? Sounds too easy though. Any input by those that have fitted HID lamps would be appreciated.

Regards,

Giles
1981 500SLC (Colour Black) Keeper car 'Lola' walks like woman, talks like a man
1999 E430 Avantgarde Royal Indigo (Colour 339) Mums Taxi 'Claudia'
1975 280CE Signal Red (Colour 568H) Project 'Ginger'
1980 C107 Classic White (resto project) 'Marilyn'
1999 W163 ML430 MB Search & Rescue Vehicle
1978 C107 350SLC Red 'Scarlett' the parts car. Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
http://www.kudoscc.com.au

Gelandewagen
Zeppelin
Model you own: w124

Post by Gelandewagen » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 7:49 am

My daily-driver Land Rover has Bi-xenon HID headlights and I absolutely love them; I think they're one of the best features on the vehicle - it's the first 4x4 I've had that doesn't need driving lights.

I'm interested to hear your opinion Joe on the success of the retro-fit as I have been mulling over doing the same to our 300E. 6000k seems a little too white to me, I was looking at much lower than that.

Can you provide a bit of background as to your choice?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but HID headlights: another invention that Mercedes-Benz has given to the world?
W123 300D
W124 300E

Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 2:46 pm

This link is useful. Page two for colour chart. http://www.hidlighting.com.au/HID%20Bul ... atings.pdf
I also used old CRT PC monitor to check colour balance to see how I saw 6000k. If you go up the scale white will appear blue to pinkish and down the scale it will be seen as yellow. 6000k is the highest legally from what I've read.
Everyone sees things a little differently so go with what you prefer. It took me some time to adjust to 6000k because its creates such an usual contrast at night of black to white which is not seen except on a full moon.
Regards,
Giles
1981 500SLC (Colour Black) Keeper car 'Lola' walks like woman, talks like a man
1999 E430 Avantgarde Royal Indigo (Colour 339) Mums Taxi 'Claudia'
1975 280CE Signal Red (Colour 568H) Project 'Ginger'
1980 C107 Classic White (resto project) 'Marilyn'
1999 W163 ML430 MB Search & Rescue Vehicle
1978 C107 350SLC Red 'Scarlett' the parts car. Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
http://www.kudoscc.com.au

AMG
OZBENZ Admin

Post by AMG » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 8:53 pm

Gelandewagen wrote:...I'm interested to hear your opinion Joe on the success of the retro-fit as I have been mulling over doing the same to our 300E. 6000k seems a little too white to me, I was looking at much lower than that.

Can you provide a bit of background as to your choice?

Basically the reason I went with the 6000K temp H4, is that the Philips globes have a solenoid reflector, which means the lamp is on all the time, and the solenoid moves the aperture based on low-high beam switch.

The colour is a little blueish. It is the highest legal temperature allowed. I wanted the whitest light I could get at the time.

After having used them for a while now, I can confidently say that the 6000K lamps are the best colour temperature to use in low ambient light conditions, in a DRY environment.

In the wet, they are lost in the longer range due to the shorter wavelength spectrum.

If I had an opportunity to change the globes for use in all-weather conditions, I would go for the 4500K globes, with a very powerful warm white light. being slightly lower in the spectrum (not yellowish, but it is less bluish on the refractive fringe) they are so powerful in the rain, the depth of field they provide is like having a set of aircraft landing lights attached to the front of the car.

Having said that, it is a personal preference. Being used to very high power halogen globes I prefer the yellowish tone, which is easier on the eye, so to speak, and is not as clinical. I find that the 6000K globes have a tendency to wash out the colour, leaving the reflected image a very alien like bluish tinge.

But they do look Oh-So-Cool.

Also remember, that HID globes are only 35W. for the current consumption, they are extremely efficient and powerful. they will outlast filament globes by a factor of 1000 easily. (they are a once in a lifetime fitment). BUT. a 100w halogen globe will put out more light. So if you like using the high wattage halogen globes, then a HID conversion may not be for you, as there won't be the same amount of light output (and not the same amount of heat either!)

I spent a good deal of money buying genuine german hella reflectors for Lurch, for high beam. They use standard H3 philips innovision plus80 high-temp globes (4000K) and are excellent high beam. Better than the HID in my opinion - BUT they are in a 5.25" sealed beam conversion reflector, with a long-range pin beam. (check out lurches pics in the 107 section)
012.JPG
The only real way to know everything is working to spec, is to make sure the lenses are clean, the reflectors are clean, dust free and not corroded, and if the glass is stone chipped, you really should replace it, otherwise the change won't make any real noticeable difference.

Some people will find it hard to accept that HID conversion is not cheap if done properly, but I'd argue that it is worth every penny spent. The cheap hongkong / taiwan / china ebay conversions are a waste of time. Gretel, Nat's 124 came with them when we bought the car, and the first thing I did was toss them, as my standard H4 globes from stella (ironic isn't it?) were WAY more powerful and the beam set was correct, instead of the dodgy globe arrangement on the cheap conversion.

If you want me to get hold of the globes (any temp) and ballast (the kit like I showed above) I can get them to you for less than you will pay for them anywhere. Just flick me an email.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current:
Previous:

Return to “MOD How-To's”