'Budget' W116 Track Car

If you're making significant mods to your Merc, Share them with us, and inspire others who are like-minded.
stengah
Gelandewagen

'Budget' W116 Track Car

Post by stengah » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 1:44 pm

Hi there,

Just thought I would start a thread for people interested in my latest project. A few friends and myself have decided to make (give or take a little) $1000 budget racecars. I had found myself a W116 280S with 250,000kms a while back which was a manual, so this to me fitted what I wanted, a Mercedes, and a manual for more driveability. We plan to participate in the sprint meetings and also fun days and open days (fridays) at Winton Raceway.

Plans for the car at this stage aren't yet fully decided. I will keep the thread updated throughout the build process and hope to have the car going within two months.

Stewart
170s

Post by Stewart » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 3:36 pm

Hi stengah,
We have several sprints/hillclimbs around my way and I've been floating that balloon round for a while. It will be interesting to see how you go and how you go about it.
Good luck
Stewart :mrgreen:

stengah
Gelandewagen

Post by stengah » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 6:57 pm

stengah
Gelandewagen

Post by stengah » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 7:04 pm

Also If anyone is interested in the back seat send me a PM with your email and I will send you pictures. I will be stripping out most of the interior. The back seat is in good condition. Any parts which I don't sell will most likely be thrown out, due to the fact that I don't want to have too much parts hanging around which I will not be using.

Thanks.

arkenstone
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w126

Post by arkenstone » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 2:39 pm

I've love the backseat purely as a car-enthusiast-like-car-seats-better-than-a-couch kind of way. I'd be willing to throw $50 your way or something to save it being thrown out!

Of course I'd prefer to see it go in another 116 though!
1989 420SEL
Des wrote:When the sun shines on that star and it gleems and shines bright in the sun it makes you feel just a little bit better off than everyone else.

Stewart
170s

Re: 'Budget' W116 Track Car

Post by Stewart » Fri 09 Nov, 2007 11:55 am

Any updates?

stengah
Gelandewagen

Post by stengah » Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:34 am

After alot of busy times with work, etc.. I am now back onto working on it.

I have myself an R32 GTR intercooler, two VF10 Subaru turbos, two B2 gas converters, just need to get a few other things for the gas system before I can make a start, thinking of running a GRA throttle body.

I plan to run with an old EFI M110 intake manifold, and cut and shut the exhaust manifolds to suit the turbos. Ignition is still being investigated however given the high octane of LPG I may keep the dizzy and just retard the timing a little for on boost situations. I had planned to use a hall effect system and run an ignition only computer if i can find one cheap.

The diff will be welded, and hopefully the gearbox lives a while if treated with respect. I know ill be up for a clutch at some stage so that will most likely be a custom job. Perhaps doing an auto conversion might be cheaper.

Will try to keep updates coming.

GTI4DR
250s

Post by GTI4DR » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 4:33 pm

any more progress stengah? your thread sounds very interesting

mbmal1989
C Class

Post by mbmal1989 » Fri 26 Dec, 2008 10:57 am

gday all. must say this thread caught my eye. its something ive been interested in for a while. would anyone be so kind as to explain the concept of the "fun days" and open days at race tracks. i really want to give the "$1000" track car thing a go but dont realy no how to get into the racing side of things....

cheers mal.

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Sun 28 Dec, 2008 9:49 am

Hi Stengah

I don't know how I missed this topic, and even when I saw it yesterday I had trouble finding it again today, but I can see the subforum is a good idea once I am used to it.

I have been sprinting a w116 manual 280 this year and on a budget. Chassis / suspension was great, brakes adequate, although I think with your power you will want more. I went EBC red because they work from cold and this is also a commuter for me, but for track only I would go the QFMs that Ian and Cam are running.

The biggest failing I see in the car is weight and if you were to pick up a cheap W123 you are going to be many hundred of kilos in front. Or a w114 for that matter but best to stick with that independent rear. If you are talking about converting to an auto (did I read that right?) then I know where there is a very cheap auto m110 W123, but then everyone must know where there is one of those!!

Welded diff is fine but a thought that might be useful is if a japanese LSD could be adapted. I see these units at import places really cheap and wonder if flanges and mounts could be adapted. If you did it once you could probably multiple manufacture the parts and sell them off to others. It just seems so hard to find an LSD and basically impossible to find short, track ratios.

Not sure what year your car is, but did you know the later cars had full electronic breakerless ignition that could bolt straight on.

Really interested how your mods go. Like I was saying, I am doing no more development until I get a lighter car and I am more inclined to go for the very light 190 with 5 link rear end but with engine mods like after market injection, turbo maybe. Maybe I will learn from your experience though.

Lastly, with budget strongly in mind, I worked out I had a bad Holley on my car (economaster) and by the time I stuffed about trying to sort another carby it was cheaper to get it converted to LPG courtesy of Johny. I wish now I researched it a little better and have thought about modding my system to use a fuel injected manifold with a throttle body on it, mainly to avoid the restriction of having the current converter sitting on the carby. So what is a B2 gas converter and GRA throttle body and where did you get it from?

And I forgot to say for any other 'budget racers"' that the cheapest horsepower I found was removing the aftermarket baffled exhaust boxes and fitting one OEM straight through like it should have had. The car is still way too quiet for my liking but huge difference in power and economy from being '"çhoked''. Similarly don't skimp on the basics like good shocks, brakes etc. - don't cost much and you should do it to any road car let alone a track car.

Good luck!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Return to “MOD How-To's”