Hirschmann antenna needs a gentle "push" to retract

All about In-Car Entertainment (aka ICE)
Discuss audio problems in your mercedes / installs of new AV products
Share pics of your install, describe issues, troubleshoot audio electrics in your Mercedes.
MaXim
C Class
Model you own: w123

Hirschmann antenna needs a gentle "push" to retract

Post by MaXim » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 1:23 pm

Anyone had luck repairing their AUTA 6000U power antenna?

I disassembled mine, cleaned it out and inserted a new mast.

It works fine *except* for one issue - from the extended position it needs a push to retract! Once I have pushed down on it gently it retracts without any issues.

I installed a type 04 mast which needed the nylon cable to be cut so it would fully retract - apparently the longer nylon cable is for the 6000EL antenna. I've tried to adjust the clutch nut to no avail

My theory is that the nylon cable is either too long or too short but I'm too scared to cut any more of the nylon cable to see if it fixes the strange behaviour.

tsharkey
C 111

Re: Hirschmann antenna needs a gentle "push" to retract

Post by tsharkey » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 8:59 pm

The clutch is spring loaded so it should be fine. Three thoughts come to mind

1. Did the replacement cable have "teeth" rather than was solid. Should be solid
2: Did you lubricate the white cable (or has lubricant made its way to the clutch. It may be slipping as a result.
3: Did you slightly warp the telescopic antenna before installing, meaning its catching slightly. That said, have you lubricated the telescopic bit ?

I very much doubt cutting the cable length will alter this as all that means is the aerial doesn't extend as completely.
W123 1981 300TD - Family Kid mover
W202 1998 C250D Factory OM605A Turbo - Partner's daily driver
W123 1982 300CD Retro fitted OM617A Turbo - Mine
W123 1984 300TD 5 Speed Manual, to teach the kids how to drive
W123 1982 300TD Factory OM617A Turbo (Hans) - Project
W123 1985 230TE - Brother's
W123 1985 300D - Sister in Law's
1962 S-Series Valiant (Tho Daimler & Chrysler divorced, still part of the extended family)

Past benzes
W114 1969 250CE - PO put in an M110 transplant and nearly sent me around the bend
W123 1981 300TD - "Matilda" - RIP hit front side & rear but left my brother + niece A-OK

Current Projects
Coupe restoration, Turbo Wagon freshen up

MaXim
C Class

Post by MaXim » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 9:33 am

tsharkey wrote:1. Did the replacement cable have "teeth" rather than was solid. Should be solid
The replacement cable has teeth, but according to the vendor (Soundlabs Group) this is perfectly fine. They don't stock the type 02 mast for these units anymore as they are NLA. I was told that replacing with the type 4 mast was fine but I'd need to cut down the cable to make it fit in my 6000U.
tsharkey wrote: 2: Did you lubricate the white cable (or has lubricant made its way to the clutch. It may be slipping as a result.
I did not lubricate the nylon cable but it is very possible some lubricant made it into the clutch from when I cleaned the unit. However I don't think this is the issue. What I have noticed is that when I turn off my radio, I hear a 'click' but the motor does not move. When I push down on the mast it *does* move and retract the mast as intended.
tsharkey wrote: 3: Did you slightly warp the telescopic antenna before installing, meaning its catching slightly. That said, have you lubricated the telescopic bit ?
The telescopic bit has been lubricated and it freely extends and retracts when it's been removed from the car.

This weekend I'll have a further fiddle, hooking it up to a 12v battery with the whole unit removed from the car. Provided I have time left over after working on my new w124 project!

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 11:31 am

There was a very comprehensive article written by a board member of the MB club of Western Australia in the magazine.
He is also an Ozbenz member by the name of scorchi0.

You could send him a PM.

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "missus car"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (my new commuter bus)

Return to “I.C.E. Cold - Car Audio”