Head unit install help

All about In-Car Entertainment (aka ICE)
Discuss audio problems in your mercedes / installs of new AV products
Share pics of your install, describe issues, troubleshoot audio electrics in your Mercedes.
ima380bens
E Class
Model you own: w126

Head unit install help

Post by ima380bens » Sun 18 May, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi guys

The previous owner has installed so much aftermarket C**P that the wiring is a mess. Has anyone else installed a new head unit that could help me work out the wiring? I've gone back to the original wiring before all the aftermarket stuff was added to it. All the speakers are wired up, I am just left with a red wire, brown, and two black wires with yellow and green lines. any idea what any of these are?

w126 380sel 81'

THanks
Took her for a drive today.

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Re: Head unit install help

Post by pastelgrey300D » Mon 19 May, 2014 2:33 pm

This should be the wiring colours for the original becker:

Not sure about those other wires though - maybe check them with a multimeter to see if they are live with the ignition and parking lights on. Is there an aftermarket power antenna fitted? There is a chance that your car may not have had a factory power aerial so may not have the wiring there for it.
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

ima380bens
E Class

Post by ima380bens » Mon 19 May, 2014 7:47 pm

Dave,

Thanks for reply.

The previous owner had a magnitude of aftermarket things installed such as; 2nd antenna, cb radio, Bluetooth system etc. The speaker bias switch has been re routed as well as an old sony head unit installed which had more wires attached to it then I am use too. Hence why I don't have the original Becker to go off which is causing me a big headache. Ill have another look at any wires I can see but honestly im pretty confused at this point. Thanks for the diagram though ill see if I can get it working.

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Post by pastelgrey300D » Tue 20 May, 2014 9:54 am

No worries, if you get really stuck I have a couple of spare original wiring looms - whenever I'm at the wreckers and I find a car with an intact loom I grab it as I've been stung several times in the past with cars that have had the wiring hacked apart and crappy speaker cable spliced in and twisted together covered in electrical tape (i.e. big sticky mess!)

Are you going to fit an original becker back to the car? If not it might just be easier to run some new wires to the speakers - the original wiring loom had a common ground for the speakers which some modern head units won't like.
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

ima380bens
E Class

Post by ima380bens » Tue 20 May, 2014 7:47 pm

No I had a newer head unit lying around.

Original Becker radios have been hard to find for me. The wiring was already stuffed up by original owner anyway.

However thanks to your help I got it working now and the sound is so much better! Thought there was something wrong with the speakers but its turned out to be the old unit. Thank god.

However from now on im going to take your advice and get old wiring looms whilst at the wreckers :) Iam there all the time anyway

Thanks again!

Return to “I.C.E. Cold - Car Audio”