inconspicuous speaker upgrade for W126

All about In-Car Entertainment (aka ICE)
Discuss audio problems in your mercedes / installs of new AV products
Share pics of your install, describe issues, troubleshoot audio electrics in your Mercedes.
Model you own: I own multiple different models

inconspicuous speaker upgrade for W126

Post by CraigB » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 1:44 am

I was meaning to post this for some time but have been prompted by a question elsewhere. The speakers in my 560 are a bit old and tired or just cant handle the modern stereo driving them and i had been searching for something to fit off and on without butchering the car. Recently put some carbon fibre response speakers from Jaycar in my 560 and they are fantastic (jaycar have 2 types of response speakers, a cheaper one and this fairly recent carbon fibre ones with great big magnets on them) and less than $150 for the 4 from memory. With the Gen 1 you don't have a lot of space to work with in the rear to get decent bass from the rear shelf but on my Gen 2 the shelf kicks up around the speakers in the rear and the speakers incorporate a sort of spacer set up. I cut the guts out of the standard speaker (at the plastic 'spokes')and screwed the response down onto the spacer - gives just enough clearance on one side and a gentle knock needed on sheet metal in the shelf on the other. Standard cover just slip over the top then....just! I think if you could pick up a rear shelf (cover) or fabricate something and a set of any old gen 2 speakers you could easily set that up in a gen 1. The 4 inch in the front needed a bit of trimming up with a dremel tool, and depending what speakers were in there it might help to make a small cover to fill the rest of the gap - I did that just to assist with base. I have a Kenwood '640w' amp (cant remember how many 'real' rms watts it is and not the 'selling watts' they quote) that is driving them. And also you need to remove the little grille on the tweeter to enable the cover to sit down right on the fronts. Rears are fine and the tweeters have an adjustable angle on them.
Craig Baulderstone

Return to “I.C.E. Cold - Car Audio”