floor sound dampening in a w114

All about In-Car Entertainment (aka ICE)
Discuss audio problems in your mercedes / installs of new AV products
Share pics of your install, describe issues, troubleshoot audio electrics in your Mercedes.
1969merc230
C Class
Model you own: w114

floor sound dampening in a w114

Post by 1969merc230 » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 3:25 pm

i had to remove the original waxy floor sound dampening on my w114 to get at all the floor pan rust(and god was there a lot), and was wondering what is an effective way to replace it?

i'm thinking about something like http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0738615882, but has anyone had any experience with replacing the original sound dampening with something like this and if it sounds any decent? from what i've read about sound dampening it's all about weight not quality, so i'm probubly being a bit stupid buying dynamat, but i don't exactly want to spend $100 on a cheaper material only to find out i'm driving around a rally car.

timelord9
E Class
Model you own: w109

Re: floor sound dampening in a w114

Post by timelord9 » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 3:49 pm

sound dampening and blocking is a funny issue. You'll get lots of info from lots of different places, however you need to keep in mind that you have to use the right tool, or product, for the particular job. Dynamat is great at what it does, which is dampening panel vibration. Its not so good at either absorbing, or blocking, sound.

Check out this website and have a good read:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

: )

hawkeye
E Class
Model you own: w210

Post by hawkeye » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi there,

What about one of Dynamats other products line like Dynadeck, Dynaliner or Dynapad ?

http://www.dynamatstore.com/index.php

timelord9
E Class
Model you own: w109

Post by timelord9 » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm sure Dynamats different products such as their mass loaded vinyl, closed cell foam etc are great. Easy to use (peel and stick), not too hard to source (eBay or and decent car audio shop). The only consideration is price - you can probably find the same thing for quite a bit less dollares if you know what you want.

As always, the same rules apply - you pay for a brand name, but ultimately you want to do this job once, and do it right. Get some advice from a quality car audio store as well, and they can probably do you a deal on dynamat/pad/liner etc or its equivalents.

1969merc230
C Class
Model you own: w114

Post by 1969merc230 » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 12:12 am

the dynamat range looks impressing, but i don't think i can fork out the cost to pay for it.

thanks timelord, i read the website from front to back, and sent the owner an email detailing to my specific circumstances.

from what i read, it seems the first logical step is to stop any of the sheet metal on the floorpans from vibrating, using something like dynamat. i'll have to take the car out for a test drive when i can to see exactly how loud it is and if i can isolate where to focus on.

the problem with dynamat is that it seems to be something to compliment the OEM sound deadening, not replace it. i'll have to research further.

Return to “I.C.E. Cold - Car Audio”