Seats for Motorkhana

1982-1993 :180E, 190E, 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190D 2.2, 190D 2.5, 190D 2.5 T
brother benz68
Pagoda

Seats for Motorkhana

Post by brother benz68 » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi,

Just showing off my new SAAS seats in my 180E 5 speed manual. This car is being used for me and my two teenage boys for Motorkhana. The seats we picked up second hand for $200 but haven't been used by the previous owner. We mounted them to the existing M-B seat base frame so they still have all adjustment functions and are at the correct height. Unfortunately this has meant we destroyed 2 M-B seats but they were very ropey anyway with the drivers having holes in the upholstery and wonky springs.

These seats have not only saved a few kilos but have made a huge difference for driver comfort and control, well worth the money and effort.

tom_kauf
C Class
Model you own: w201

Re: Seats for Motorkhana

Post by tom_kauf » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 2:21 am

Very nice :thumbup: . They actually don't look too out of place.

And as much as I like my seats (came out of a 2.6L Sportline imported from Japan, which had the interior stripped and sold to me), even those won't be as supportive as your ones. Not only is the leather slippery, they're not as supportive as they look. But better than the worn blue cloth seats I used to have...

1985 190E, 2L, 280,000km, White, Black Leather Sportline Interior, Eibach/Bilstein Sport Suspension, 16v Steering Box, Kenwood/JBL Sound System, Bridgestone RE002 tyres, full SecondSkin Sound Insulation

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Post by pastelgrey300D » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 11:37 am

Looks great Craig! And if you really wanted to I doubt you'd have any trouble finding a spare pair of W201 front seats at Upullit - but I reckon you would have saved a few kilos by taking out the original front seats!

Please keep us posted on how the boys go on the weekend, would love to come down and watch but have other commitments this weekend.

Where's your carbon fibre centre console? Everyone knows that makes you go faster! :laughing6:
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

Giles
300 SL Gullwing
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by Giles » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 1:45 pm

The SAAS seats look good. I'm looking at something like those for my red rally coupe.

Did they bolt up the original runners, or I'd you have to adapt something?

I've kept a set of runners from a car that I dismantled.

Regards,

Giles
1981 500SLC (Colour Black) Keeper car 'Lola' walks like woman, talks like a man
1999 E430 Avantgarde Royal Indigo (Colour 339) Mums Taxi 'Claudia'
1975 280CE Signal Red (Colour 568H) Project 'Ginger'
1980 C107 Classic White (resto project) 'Marilyn'
1999 W163 ML430 MB Search & Rescue Vehicle
1978 C107 350SLC Red 'Scarlett' the parts car. Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
http://www.kudoscc.com.au

brother benz68
Pagoda

Post by brother benz68 » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 4:55 pm

pastelgrey300D wrote:Looks great Craig! And if you really wanted to I doubt you'd have any trouble finding a spare pair of W201 front seats at Upullit - but I reckon you would have saved a few kilos by taking out the original front seats!

Please keep us posted on how the boys go on the weekend, would love to come down and watch but have other commitments this weekend.

Where's your carbon fibre centre console? Everyone knows that makes you go faster! :laughing6:
Thanks David,
I'm always looking at the stock list for Upullit so when something comes up I will buy some OEM seats for backup. I will certainly let you know how we go, shame you couldn't make it but perhaps next time. 2016 CAMS calendar hasn't come out yet but I'm sure it won't be too far away.
Not sure about a carbon fibre console but I am certainly after suggestions to how I can get more speed from the 1.8.

Thanks again.

Craig

brother benz68
Pagoda

Post by brother benz68 » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 5:17 pm

Giles wrote:The SAAS seats look good. I'm looking at something like those for my red rally coupe.

Did they bolt up the original runners, or I'd you have to adapt something?

I've kept a set of runners from a car that I dismantled.

Regards,

Giles
Hi Giles,
The seats were quite easy to fit thanks to M-B excellent engineering on the base frame. After removing the backrest and stripping the upholstery I cut the springs off the seat base with a cut-off disc on an angle grinder, then I was able to drill holes in the base frame to bolt the SAAS seat onto it. It was a bit fiddley with limited access from the bottom of the base frame with runners etc. The only other thing I did was to buy some flat bar steel which I drilled and bolted underneath to act as a cross member so in case of an accident the bolts wouldn't pull through the seat base frame. I used Loctite for all bolts. It was a great project and no welding required.

The only thing I will say is if you purchase aftermarket seats is to make sure they comply with ADR.

Many thanks

Craig
Last edited by brother benz68 on Fri 23 Oct, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brother benz68
Pagoda

Post by brother benz68 » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 5:25 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Very nice :thumbup: . They actually don't look too out of place.

And as much as I like my seats (came out of a 2.6L Sportline imported from Japan, which had the interior stripped and sold to me), even those won't be as supportive as your ones. Not only is the leather slippery, they're not as supportive as they look. But better than the worn blue cloth seats I used to have...

Thanks Tom.

I must say I really like the interior of your car - very classy and immaculate!

tom_kauf
C Class
Model you own: w201

Post by tom_kauf » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:29 am

brother benz68 wrote: Thanks Tom.

I must say I really like the interior of your car - very classy and immaculate!
Thank you. Was definitely worth the effort, swapping out the whole interior. Mechanically it was good, but this took it from a neglected looking car to something really nice.
1985 190E, 2L, 280,000km, White, Black Leather Sportline Interior, Eibach/Bilstein Sport Suspension, 16v Steering Box, Kenwood/JBL Sound System, Bridgestone RE002 tyres, full SecondSkin Sound Insulation

Return to “W201”