W108 into W111 coupe bits

If you have a non model specific technical question or some general MB related content, post it here!
Users are requested to Search through relevant topics using the "Search" function, before posting here.
Dweezil
C 111
Model you own: w123

W108 into W111 coupe bits

Post by Dweezil » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 1:10 am

Hi Team,

I've finally extracted the digit and am heading down the path of updating my early '62 W111 manual coupe with various W108 tidbits from a 1970 SEL donor engine and 1970 280S donor body.

Just to recap, this coupe will never be a show car for the originality fetishists - I want to make it into a safer, more comfortable, more powerful car to drive, not show to old guys in a field (not that there's anything wrong with that).

The idea is to match the M130 to the manual trans that's already in the W111 coupe and put the front and rear axles from the 280S on the coupe as well.

So, a few things to get me started:

1) What do I need to do to the M130 engine to make sure the speedo and rev counter match up to the W111?

2) Will the entire dual-circuit braking system from the 280S transfer straight over to the W111 once I change the axles over ?

3) Has anyone figured out a neat way to solve the oil cooler issue?

Thanks.

Dweezil

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: W108 into W111 coupe bits

Post by CraigB » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:02 am

the only one i can help with off the top of my head is the oil cooler. Did you mean how to fit the wider radiator/oil cooler assembly into the front? I compared putting this set up and engine into a w108 250 and its just the brackets that are different. I figure sacrificing the old brackets, spot weld cutter or if i cant get in there with that just grinding/sanding off where the welds are nice and smooth. then the sacrificial 108 will just have the reverse, recipro saw i reckon to get into where spot welds are. Then I will just trailer to a guy i know with spot welder with long arms etc and should all look original. Off course there are short cuts to getting to the same point that don't look original.

But that's early 108 - don't know how similar that is to finnie.

Also balancing is possibly an issue when bolting up flywheel to an auto motor - all balanced together in factory. I'm guessing the 62 is a cable tach? There won't be any take off on the 1970 motor. Probably talk to an instrument place about making a hybrid electronic tacho. My clubman had MGB tach with issues and place in Adelaide for something like a couple of hundred put new guts in the back of the tacho and works perfect just off wire from distributor.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

sf0999
250s
Model you own: w111

Post by sf0999 » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 8:47 pm

Dweezil,

I'm doing some similar brake mods to my Finnie (and I'm not too far from your location).

In my case I'm putting in 4 wheel disc W111 250 coupe brakes (I think) into a '61 drum braked finnie.
The following have been changed :-
Air filter
clutch pedal
clutch m/cyl
Brake m/cyl
Brake booster (in progress)
Firewall mods for the brake booster (in progress)
All steering components after the box (i.e. pitman, drag, tie rods, idler -all different on mine)
Kingpins
various brake and clutch lines
Handbrake cables
plus the actual front hubs/calipers/discs and rear diff disc to disc.

Would I do it a gain -no way. If your Finnie is a later model with disk front end, particularly a firewall mounted booster you will find it much easier. If you have an inline booster with a single system things will get very complicated. The 108 booster probably will not fit.

Re the speedo. The speedo may read a little low depending on the diff ratio. I'd see how close it is before you start to look at replacing speedo gears on the transmission or re calibrating the head. I have an electronic after market rev counter.

Mine is work in progress and not mobile, but you are welcome to drop by to have a look at the issues I'm working through.

Cheers

Steve
W111 1961 220S Classic Rally Car "Eugen"
W126 1988 300SEL "Frankie"

Dweezil
C 111
Model you own: w123

Post by Dweezil » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi Steve,

that's great info.

I may well come down and see what I'm getting myself in to. PM me when you're ready.

And just for anyone who's curious (there'd be a million threads on this), but I saw the main benefits of going with 108-ness as follows:

More power (obviously)
Bigger braking capacity
Safer dual circuit brakes
Wheel and tyre size flexibility from 13" to 14"
Easier parts availability and servicing
Better diff ratio for the highway
Brake booster in a 'normal' place
I just happen to have a spare Pagoda 2.8 with no other destiny at this point
I just happen to have a spare 108 with no other destiny at this point

Thanks

Dweezil

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 1:10 am

Look at your coupe engine above the injection pump, there is a take off for the rev counter cable . The M127 engine has a front mounted distributor ,and i think your m130 is the same. There is a nut scrwed into the block there ,which comes out easily. The drive for the rev counter should fit in the same place on a m130,you will have to remove the drive ,the pinion in the bottom etc etc parts are sold as a set #A1300500306. I know these drives work on the diesels (used for testing rebuilt engines) so you should be able to bolt it in to your m130. your m130 will bolt to the manual gearbox and you can use the flywheel clutch etc but YOU MUST get the flywheel Match balanced to the auto trans drive plate. You will destroy the engine if you try and not balance anything and any good reco place can do this for you .

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 11:04 am

Ron, I am no expert and just read about balancing over the years. Are you saying that you don't need to dismantle the motor and have the crankshaft, harmonic balancer and flywheel balanced together? You take just the auto drive plate, they measure the balance of that and then match the balance on the flywheel to be the same? Sounds like a great idea, i just hadn't heard of it before. Hell of a lot easier than pulling a whole motor down.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Return to “General Mercedes-Benz related.”