A question of wet carpet

If you have a non model specific technical question or some general MB related content, post it here!
Users are requested to Search through relevant topics using the "Search" function, before posting here.
barad
B Class
Model you own: w123

A question of wet carpet

Post by barad » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 8:43 pm

ok I admit I'm fishing a little here but...

In the process of replacing the speaker wiring in the 230e (W123) and pulling the rear seat and carpets out I found the carpet/underlay around the transmission tunnel just in front of the back seat is wet (really wet) so it appears to have leaked during the rain we've had in Sydney. Weird thing is though the top of the carpet is dry just the length along the sides/bottom and the rest of the carpet in the back is dry (and under the seat) so the leak doesn't look to have come from the sides or rear window. I did think perhaps the sun roof as the car was parked on a slope but there is no indication of water marks on the head lining.

Does anyone have even a vague idea where to look for the leak ?

cheers

Tony From West Oz
OZBENZ moderator
Model you own: w202

Re: A question of wet carpet

Post by Tony From West Oz » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 10:19 pm

A number of places to check:
- Sunroof drains blocked or rusted through. Unlikely to come in via the headlining.
- Front windscreen rubber not sealing
- Ditto Rear Windscreen.

Rear windscreen bottom corners are a place where corrosion is evident in many of our vehicles. This is usually related to rear windscreen seal leaking, causing water to pool in the steel panels at those points.

Was the car parked "side on", nose up or nose down to the slope ? This may assist in deciding on your starting point.

I am sure others, who have dealt with this previously, will chime in with their experiences.

Regards,
Tony
Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'83 W123 300D 325000km (Wife's car Josephine - sold).
'84 W123 300D replaced good OM617 912 with OM617 952 and enjoyed having good acceleration for the first time since first driving a 300D in 2002 - became engine and trans donor for 300CD Turbodiesel conversion. Now parted out.
'86 W124 300D sold (Wife's old car - sold )
'85 W123 300CD, 275 000km (Fatmobile) rebuilt turbodiesel from previous Fatmobile transplanted into 280CE (SOLD)
'99 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car - Sold)
'98 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car - Sold)
'06 Ssanyong Musso Crew Cab 2WD Ute (OM662 diesel and Auto Transmission)

barad
B Class

Post by barad » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 6:52 am

Thanks for the tips.

It was parked nose up so the sunroof drain wouldn't have worked being at the top (I did check the top half or so and it was clear)

As we have more rain coming today I have the carpets and rear seat out and paper towel all over the place so I can hopefully see where the water (on the floor at least)is coming in.

As for the front/rear window I appreciate this is the most likely spot but the one negative with so much trim is it's hard to see. Hopefully i find it as my worst fear is rust developing under all that stuck down insulation on the floors.

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 11:09 am

if you get inside the car and get someone with a hose on the outside should show up the problem pretty quick. I did this with a mates 123 and it was rust under the battery. I seem to recall that normal levels of rain it didn't get wet but with a bit more rain it could get in there and run under dash and carpet to rear. W126 have a well known problem of the drain hose on the aircon leaking that goes down the side of the trans tunnel and then leaked under carpet and into rear.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 4:26 pm

look in the pocket when the bonnet hinges mount. thats a common W123 rust point, and if you can ,remove the wiper arms and then the panel underneath . There is supposed to be a plastic drain tube in there but if it gets blocked ,leaves etc will cause rust and it will enter the car . my rear floor on the drivers side was getting wet too and it was coming in via the fuse box. the cover was loose. check the air con drains. If your air is working,make sure the condensation is going out under the car and not into it.

barad
B Class

Post by barad » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 6:26 am

Cheers guys. Gives me some more areas to look at.

And yesterday's rain was light and nothing inside, might try the hose routine (excuse to clean as well)

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Region: New South Wales

Post by AMG » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 1:31 pm

I'll second the Evap drain tubes as well. On the 126 they are a crappy foam lined with a coil spring. they simply disintegrate and it flows into the underfloor insulation.
I discovered this after heavy use of the HVAC on a rainy week, when I had family down and the car was used for a few long drives with the climate control on. the rear floors filled up with condensation from the stupid foam hvac tubes....

Fix is to go to clark rubber and get some clear Polythene tube the same diameter and cut to the correct length. place the spring back inside the tube to prevent it from being crushed by the trans tunnel carpet panel.

Not sure if I posted pics of this in the 126 section years ago. If not, I'll try and dig the pics up.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Classic 4sp auto Ardennes Green "Oswald"
2012 E63 AMG Speedshift MCT Diamantweiß "Klaus"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"

barad
B Class

Post by barad » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 12:06 pm

update:

water appears to only be entering the passenger side and from under the dash, Still had the panels off and just went up to the petrol station (to pay the second mortgage) and my son's feet got covered on the first corner. The rear was wet but looks to have been coming from the front. I suppose time and further investigation will show.

So now I know the area where it is coming from I can get stuck, but only if the rain stops.

cheers
james

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Region: New South Wales

Post by AMG » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 1:09 pm

were you turning left or right?
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Classic 4sp auto Ardennes Green "Oswald"
2012 E63 AMG Speedshift MCT Diamantweiß "Klaus"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 4:58 pm

Sounds identical to the car I checked out and that had water in the front and then flows to the back. I suggest take the battery out and poke around that area with a screwdriver. Could be a relatively small area of rust, doesn't take much for water to flow through. If it is the access should be ok for welding but be very very careful not to set the whole car alight! Depending on your vision of what the car should be, it could be possible to bond a patch in there but my only advice is not to skimp on preparation or bonding agent. Cars with bogged over rust or sikaflex just seems so pointless when with just a little more work you can completely remove all the rusted metal. A dremel tool and a couple of hours can do wonders. Then if you have totally clean metal and bond with a proper auto adhesive like sikaflex 227 i think it is or one of those numbers a proper clean piece of metal and cover all the metal so it excludes air from the joint, then i don't see the problem in doing this. It is strong and cars like commodores i believe have firewalls glued with this stuff and not welded. Just a suggestion.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

barad
B Class

Post by barad » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 6:26 am

Update:

I think it's been found. The drain hole under the wiper arm, if I pour water here then there is a 'dribble'. So looks like I need to take that panel out and see what is under it (wiper motor area).

I had a feel via the side after removing the plastic grill but could tell where the leak or split tube etc was. But I am making progress.

cheers

Rizz280s
B Class
Model you own: w108

Post by Rizz280s » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:42 pm

Hey,

I suspect my problem is quite similar. Did you end up finding the source of the leak or know where the water is supposed to drain to?
I've found the top of the hose - which was completely crumbled - but it was face into the body with no apparent destination!

Regards
Rizz

Return to “General Mercedes-Benz related.”