Door mirror maintenance/removal W114/116/123/107

If you have a non model specific technical question or some general MB related content, post it here!
Users are requested to Search through relevant topics using the "Search" function, before posting here.
pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Door mirror maintenance/removal W114/116/123/107

Post by pastelgrey300D » Sun 22 Dec, 2013 6:09 pm

Hello all, just wanted to share some tips and tricks on what seems to be common issues with the remote type door mirrors (polished cover) as fitted to W123, W107, W116 and post ’73 facelift W114/115 models.
This applies to issues with:
- Removing mirror assemblies
- Replacing broken mirror glass
- Mirror controls being very stiff and hard to operate

REMOVING MIRROR ASSEMBLY:
Using a small flat bladed screw driver, push the small black clip out (towards the door). This allows the mirror knob to be removed.

Using a small, flat bladed screwdriver, lever the chrome trim piece in the position shown. BE VERY GENTLE as this trim is plastic and you could break the plastic or break the mounting pin. Squirt some INOX/WD40 in there if you need to – it should not take much force to pop out. Then tilt forward at the top and lift out to remove.

On the earlier cars there are 3 mounting tabs – once again be very gentle – you can see that one of the tabs in this picture has already been snapped.

Undo the three Phillips head screws to remove the mirror from the door. Installation is a reverse, but be sure to smear the mounting pins with some Vaseline or other lubricant to make it easier to remove again!

REMOVING MIRROR GLASS:
(This can be done with the mirror still on the car).

Wrap a medium size flathead screwdriver with an old sock or cloth to protect the paint and mirror glass and then insert the screwdriver between the mirror body and glass as shown. Gently lever the outer edge of the mirror up.

You can see how the mirror is attached – at the outer edge there is a ball pivot. At the other end there is a metal prong that a nylon bushing sits in. To remove the mirror glass, gently pull the glass to slide it out of the prong.

When inserting the new glass, be sure to liberally smear the locating ball and prongs with Vaseline (petroleum jelly). The nylon bushing should slide easily in the prong, if it is still stiff after lubricating you may need to clean off the prong to remove any dirt or rust.

STIFF MIRROR MECHANISM:

These remote type mirrors often become very stiff to use – especially after 30+ years (where many of them have probably never been serviced before). The control knob should be ‘finger light’ and you should be able to move the control knob in any direction with your index finger! If you can only move the knob in one direction or it is so stiff that you have to grasp it with two or more fingers, then the mechanism is in need of a service!

With the mirror glass removed, start by liberally spraying all of the linkages with INOX/WD40 and gently working the mechanism. You can also adjust the small flathead screw which adjusts how tight the ball mechanism is.

The mechanism works in two ways – the forked prong pivots on the ball mechanism when you move the knob vertically to move the mirror up or down. An extra linkage moves the prong in and out when you move the knob horizontally to move the mirror in and out. On the mirror in these photos, this horizontal mechanism was completely seized so that you could not even move the mirror in the horizontal plane.

Generally, soaking the mirror mechanisms liberally in lubricant and working the lubricant into the linkages by moving the knob around should be enough to get everything working nicely again. If however, it is still very stiff, you may need to disassemble the mirror – the linkages can rust and swell up which would require them to be dismantled, cleaned back to bright metal and then reassembled. I prefer to use petroleum jelly for lubrication but I guess you could use any all purpose grease – just be sure to wipe off any excess grease – excess grease will attract dust and cause the linkages to bind up again.

Hope this helps! Time to go out and free up those old mirrors!
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

parker
Adenauer
Model you own: w123

Re: Door mirror maintenance/removal W114/116/123/107

Post by parker » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 12:45 pm

+1 thanxs

pva68
C Class
Model you own: w114

Post by pva68 » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks for this. I am about to change the door window seals and need to remove the mirror for this. Good info.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1973 W114 280CE
1989 W124 300CE
1990 W201 190E (my son thinks this is his car).

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 7:02 pm

Great write up Dave. I have had one apart but not good hearted enough to do what you have! I didn't find it clear in the literature and this is a great description of the set up and what to do. Hope all your cars are going well....... should have another tech day - Evan popped by on the weekend and we had discussed. But we can cross mirror servicing off the list - that's been covered!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Post by pastelgrey300D » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks guys, I've been a bit awol from the forum lately but that has been due to working on the new shed which is now all but finished, will have to post another pic in the 'work space' thread. Slab was poured last Friday which was the final piece of the puzzle. Just an agonising 30 day wait for the slab to cure before I can coat it. Looking forward to re-starting the tech days at the new venue.
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 10:16 am

Superb! Great central location there too.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Return to “General Mercedes-Benz related.”