Temperature Gauge issue

If you have a non model specific technical question or some general MB related content, post it here!
Users are requested to Search through relevant topics using the "Search" function, before posting here.
Izzie_ov
Model you own: w210
Region: Other (please specify below)

Temperature Gauge issue

Post by Izzie_ov » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 9:25 pm

My temperature gauge falls way below 40 when engine is switched off. when engine is turned on gauge moves up but doesn't reach 40. what could the problem be and is there a quick solution?

Christo C
170s
Model you own: w124
Region: New South Wales

Re: Temperature Gauge issue

Post by Christo C » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 8:40 am

Very likely the pointer has simply loosened & slipped on it’s shaft - If it were, mine I’d reef the instruments out, carefully prise the pointer off, run the engine to a known temperature, hook the instruments up temporarily (don’t need speedo and other gauges) and reattach the pointer to that reading.
Or even just set the pointer to it’s lowest setting when the engine is cold and see what happens.
Only thing about diving into instrument panel is it is rather delicate, esp the painted dials & pointers, so you have to be really confident, clean and careful. Touching the black painted parts leaves fingerprints. Cotton gloves recommended.
~Christo
1986 230E W124.023 M102.982 Thistle Green Saloon "Janis" 300,000+Km
Beaconsfield, SYDNEY

Return to “General Mercedes-Benz related.”