Is MB trying to kill the used car market, check this ridiculous quote out!

If you have a non model specific technical question or some general MB related content, post it here!
Users are requested to Search through relevant topics using the "Search" function, before posting here.
stefcep
B Class
Model you own: w202

Re: Is MB trying to kill the used car market, check this ridiculous quote out!

Post by stefcep » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 12:10 pm

aleks001 wrote:
Sun 01 Oct, 2017 9:31 pm
Ivanerrol wrote:
Sun 01 Oct, 2017 6:28 pm
Jap cars.
Sister in laws husband has had Honda’s for 25 years.
Recently bought a 2010 Honda Accord V6 - Top Model.
Cost him $16,000 - had 80,000km on the clock. He bought it from a Honda Stealership.
It required the 80,000 service when he bought it - salesman told him it wouldn’t be much.
Cost.......$3,500. :laughing5:
So his $16k car suddenly became a $19.5k car.
Then because he wanted a video reversing camera they charged him another $2,100 to install one
Then it needed a battery - changed at the stealership - another $600.00
Next. GPS needed updating. The costs finally got to him and be bought a Garmin. (I did point out that an iPhone with google maps was far superior).

Next. I do a lot of Melbourne - Queensland trips. My mother lived on the Gold Coast. Every now and then she would drive her 2004 toyboata Camry one way to Melbourne. I would need to drive the bloody thing back again. It was plain dangerous in wet weather at speed.
Yeah but that sounds more of an issue with the stealership and not the car itself. I assumed by now anyone with a car out of warranty would be wise enough not to take it to a stealership of any sorts.

I remember a friend at work once asked a honda stealership how much to replace front brake pads and it was in the $400-$500 range. She ended up taking it to some local guy who did it for $150.

I assume something was wrong with his camry ? I've been in a couple and never felt unsafe in them, although they were all pretty new.

Yeah we rented a 2015 model driving all over Tassie, with 5 adults plus luggage and it drove well for a family car. Comfortable, quiet, big boot. The new camry looks interesting (never thought I'd say THAT) but boy how these "mid-sized"cars are growing-its just 1 cm shorter than an W211 E-class.

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm

stefcep wrote:
Mon 02 Oct, 2017 12:10 pm
aleks001 wrote:
Sun 01 Oct, 2017 9:31 pm
Ivanerrol wrote:
Sun 01 Oct, 2017 6:28 pm
Jap cars.
Sister in laws husband has had Honda’s for 25 years.
Recently bought a 2010 Honda Accord V6 - Top Model.
Cost him $16,000 - had 80,000km on the clock. He bought it from a Honda Stealership.
It required the 80,000 service when he bought it - salesman told him it wouldn’t be much.
Cost.......$3,500. :laughing5:
So his $16k car suddenly became a $19.5k car.
Then because he wanted a video reversing camera they charged him another $2,100 to install one
Then it needed a battery - changed at the stealership - another $600.00
Next. GPS needed updating. The costs finally got to him and be bought a Garmin. (I did point out that an iPhone with google maps was far superior).

Next. I do a lot of Melbourne - Queensland trips. My mother lived on the Gold Coast. Every now and then she would drive her 2004 toyboata Camry one way to Melbourne. I would need to drive the bloody thing back again. It was plain dangerous in wet weather at speed.
Yeah but that sounds more of an issue with the stealership and not the car itself. I assumed by now anyone with a car out of warranty would be wise enough not to take it to a stealership of any sorts.

I remember a friend at work once asked a honda stealership how much to replace front brake pads and it was in the $400-$500 range. She ended up taking it to some local guy who did it for $150.

I assume something was wrong with his camry ? I've been in a couple and never felt unsafe in them, although they were all pretty new.

Yeah we rented a 2015 model driving all over Tassie, with 5 adults plus luggage and it drove well for a family car. Comfortable, quiet, big boot. The new camry looks interesting (never thought I'd say THAT) but boy how these "mid-sized"cars are growing-its just 1 cm shorter than an W211 E-class.
Yeah they all definetly growing. A friend has a mazda 3 sedan and we realises it is pretty much the same length as my e90 3 series.

TheMadRacoon
C 111
Model you own: w107

Post by TheMadRacoon » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 9:06 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:
Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:00 am
It must be qualified : Luxury or Quality. The W123 wasn't the most luxurious car but were really "engineered Like no other car"
99% of motoring commentators and experts would probably rate the W123 as the best mass produced car ever made
Some markets are based on perceived "Luxury" or Snob value rather than sheer quality.

The Australian market expects price to = quality. The Labour government even introduced the envy tax - Luxury car Tax. or Quality car tax.
Which reminds me: some old style luxuries such as an extensive colour palette - both exterior AND interior would be appreciated. Everything is now either black, white, silver or maybe blue or red or burgundy. Why no other colours? Why not a range of shades within a colour. It can't be hard to do. And it can't be because of 'waste' when nowadays they use cartridges of paint, effectively one for each car on the assembly line (at least they did that at one of the local Australian plants).
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 10:45 pm

TheMadRacoon wrote:
Mon 02 Oct, 2017 9:06 pm
Ivanerrol wrote:
Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:00 am
It must be qualified : Luxury or Quality. The W123 wasn't the most luxurious car but were really "engineered Like no other car"
99% of motoring commentators and experts would probably rate the W123 as the best mass produced car ever made
Some markets are based on perceived "Luxury" or Snob value rather than sheer quality.

The Australian market expects price to = quality. The Labour government even introduced the envy tax - Luxury car Tax. or Quality car tax.
Which reminds me: some old style luxuries such as an extensive colour palette - both exterior AND interior would be appreciated. Everything is now either black, white, silver or maybe blue or red or burgundy. Why no other colours? Why not a range of shades within a colour. It can't be hard to do. And it can't be because of 'waste' when nowadays they use cartridges of paint, effectively one for each car on the assembly line (at least they did that at one of the local Australian plants).
I would assume the answer is that because MB,BMW and Audi are not considered premium anymore like they use to be. If you want that level of customisation these days you have to step up to bentley territory. I would probabably also assume that even if they had those options the majority of people would still pick safe colours. Ive seen god knows how many w205s on the road. Black, white and silver is literally all you see.

dwn06
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w210

Post by dwn06 » Tue 03 Oct, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi all,

I have recently found this site partsouq.com they seem to be like the real OEM BMW website.
it seems fairly good so far needed replacement fog lights their prices quite ok

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Tue 03 Oct, 2017 11:12 pm

dwn06 wrote:
Tue 03 Oct, 2017 4:56 pm
Hi all,

I have recently found this site partsouq.com they seem to be like the real OEM BMW website.
it seems fairly good so far needed replacement fog lights their prices quite ok
I cant seem to find any parts for my car. Not even an oil filter.

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w204

Post by Ivanerrol » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 7:16 pm

TheMadRacoon wrote:

(a) At one time I did a lot of work for BTR Kennon.
They made all the carpets for Australian made/assembled vehicles.
Carpets start as little plastic balls at one end of the factory and halfway through are processed into flat carpet.
Carpets were cut in sizing and then put into a heat mold which made them conform to the exact floor plan of the required model.
A bunch of guys with the sharpest knives you would ever see then cut off the excess bits of carpet hanging on the outside of the mold.
They made all the carpets for the three OZ manufacturers.
They only did one colour.......Grey.
Hundreds of thousands of Grey carpets.

Brother in law had a factory making many of the plastic interior bits for the BIG 3. All grey.

F.W.I.W. Both of the above's process plants were moved to China.

(b) Car colours. The marketers will tell you they are reacting to the market preference.
In reality we all know it's economies of scale. Why bother to make so many different colours.
Ve Vill tell you vwat colour you vwant.

(c) Mercedes traditional colour is Silver.
I have two silver cars.
I have a blackish / green car. This car is a bollocks to keep clean.
I don't know why people like dark coloured cars - they must like washing them every day.

Back on topic.

I have been looking around at W211's and W212's.
Most cars I've seen are money pits waiting to happen. Some of these cars have faults that should have been sorted out at service time or are subject to compulsory overseas recalls which are not done in Australia.
MBA is not doing itself any favours here. Likely buyers of some of the cars I've looked at have the potential for thousands of dollars worth of repairs coming up. This is likely to lead to some first time Mercedes buyers with a bitter taste experience and potential Shitcanning of the MB name.

More on this subject in another coming up thread.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W202 - C180 - On consignment to nephew
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

TheMadRacoon
C 111

Post by TheMadRacoon » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 9:45 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 7:16 pm

Back on topic.

Most cars I've seen are money pits waiting to happen. Some of these cars have faults that should have been sorted out at service time or are subject to compulsory overseas recalls which are not done in Australia.
MBA is not doing itself any favours here. Likely buyers of some of the cars I've looked at have the potential for thousands of dollars worth of repairs coming up. This is likely to lead to some first time Mercedes buyers with a bitter taste experience and potential Shitcanning of the MB name.

Who remembers the German taxi drivers' protests circa 1986/7 bemoaning a drop in quality (briefly) with the W124. An effective campaign. What would it take now to send a wakeup call?
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 9:24 am

Ivanerrol wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 7:16 pm
TheMadRacoon wrote:

(a) At one time I did a lot of work for BTR Kennon.
They made all the carpets for Australian made/assembled vehicles.
Carpets start as little plastic balls at one end of the factory and halfway through are processed into flat carpet.
Carpets were cut in sizing and then put into a heat mold which made them conform to the exact floor plan of the required model.
A bunch of guys with the sharpest knives you would ever see then cut off the excess bits of carpet hanging on the outside of the mold.
They made all the carpets for the three OZ manufacturers.
They only did one colour.......Grey.
Hundreds of thousands of Grey carpets.

Brother in law had a factory making many of the plastic interior bits for the BIG 3. All grey.

F.W.I.W. Both of the above's process plants were moved to China.

(b) Car colours. The marketers will tell you they are reacting to the market preference.
In reality we all know it's economies of scale. Why bother to make so many different colours.
Ve Vill tell you vwat colour you vwant.

(c) Mercedes traditional colour is Silver.
I have two silver cars.
I have a blackish / green car. This car is a bollocks to keep clean.
I don't know why people like dark coloured cars - they must like washing them every day.

Back on topic.

I would be interested to here about these faults as I have been contemplating a W212. Apart from the M272 balance shaft issue (Which I basically would not by any car with a M272 or M273 engine regardless of it's in the good or bad years. I haven't heard about too many other seriously expensive problems?

Also I would like to tell everyone to stay away from genuinenewparts.com . They definitely are a real company and do send items, but if you have any issues they are impossible to deal with and their communication is a appalling, you constantly have to chase them up for information.

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Ivanerrol » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 7:01 pm

aleks001 wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 9:24 am

I would be interested to here about these faults as I have been contemplating a W212. Apart from the M272 balance shaft issue (Which I basically would not by any car with a M272 or M273 engine regardless of it's in the good or bad years. I haven't heard about too many other seriously expensive problems?
I wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing a post 2007 naturally aspirated M272/M273.
Their issues had been solved by then and any outstanding ones can be gotten over.

This is opposed to the M271 and M271Evo Timing chain issues continued right up until 2011 ans some say persist in the newer engine.

Diesels had their issues from 2009 to early 2012 with injectors.

The easy place to suss these issues out is just look at the class action suits in the U.S. against MB. MB has lost 90% of the time.

I've opened a new thread regarding buying a W211/W212.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:33 am

Ivanerrol wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 7:01 pm
aleks001 wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 9:24 am

I wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing a post 2007 naturally aspirated M272/M273.
Their issues had been solved by then and any outstanding ones can be gotten over.

This is opposed to the M271 and M271Evo Timing chain issues continued right up until 2011 ans some say persist in the newer engine.

Diesels had their issues from 2009 to early 2012 with injectors.

The easy place to suss these issues out is just look at the class action suits in the U.S. against MB. MB has lost 90% of the time.

I've opened a new thread regarding buying a W211/W212.
I've seen a few people with 08 cars with the dreaded balance shaft issues. I've basically ruled out the whole series, just can't take that risk. Will follow the thread :)

KimB
Große
Model you own: w126

Post by KimB » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:15 pm

It's fascinating to read about these issues that Ozbenzers have had with relatively late model Mercs and spare parts prices.

So much stress and angst!

I have avoided all this stress and angst by not buying a model after the W126 series. There was no point since it was the best model produced by Mercedes Benz and is the best selling S Class of all time (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Today's models are as bland as dishwater. I have to check the badge on the boot on late model mercedes when I see them on the road to make sure it's a Merc and not a Mazda or Toyota!

As has often been said before, the W126 was the last of the Mercs that looked like a Merc. ☺

Call me one-eyed and you would be right. The other eye was blinded by the gleam off the W126 bonnet star!😘

Cheers
W126 Nutter

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:29 pm

KimB wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:15 pm
It's fascinating to read about these issues that Ozbenzers have had with relatively late model Mercs and spare parts prices.

So much stress and angst!

I have avoided all this stress and angst by not buying a model after the W126 series. There was no point since it was the best model produced by Mercedes Benz and is the best selling S Class of all time (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Today's models are as bland as dishwater. I have to check the badge on the boot on late model mercedes when I see them on the road to make sure it's a Merc and not a Mazda or Toyota!

As has often been said before, the W126 was the last of the Mercs that looked like a Merc. ☺

Call me one-eyed and you would be right. The other eye was blinded by the gleam off the W126 bonnet star!😘

Cheers
W126 Nutter
They reallt havent ever been the same since the w126 even the w124 and w140 although loved now had plenty of issues of their own when released.

As much as i love the older cars. Saftey had really taken a million steps forward and i just dont want to risk my life on an older car.

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Ivanerrol » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 10:57 pm

aleks001 wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:29 pm

As much as i love the older cars. Safety had really taken a million steps forward and i just don't want to risk my life on an older car.
Safety taking a million steps forward

Wellll,,,,,,,, Not really. MB and Volvo devised the seat belt, crumple zones and SRS air bags.

The greatest life saver has been the introduction of Seat belts. SRS stands for Supplementary Restraint System. This was always designed to compliment the Seat belts. And the fact that U.S. drivers refused to wear seat belts even when fitted to their cars. _ compulsory seat belt laws not in effect.
Crumple Zones were another complimentary area.

The other big life saver was the introduction of the drink driving laws.

Another was the lowering of open speed limits and the drastic improvement of the goat tracks available to drivers i Australia and many other countries.

We have all seen those videos of the Smart Car in a front on with an old Volvo. The commentators waffle on about the survive ability possibility of the Smart Vs the Volvo. The reality is that G Forces would have seen off the occupants of the Smart - the commentators conveniently ignore that.

Over the years many so called safety improvements have been installed in the average run of the mill makes. ASR ESB all these market fluff names. These items have only improved the blood force trauma injuries but not the overall G Force impacts on the body.
It's a bit like the Bicycle helmet debate. They reduce blood injuries but do marginal for concussion.

The number one issue is the idiot behind the wheel. No 40, 50,60 or 100kph law is going to stop the lunatic doing 160kph in any speed zone.

Have a look at those Russian crash videos. I don't see much technology preventing 99% of the incidents in those videos - mainly idiots.

Have you seen that English crash video where they crashed a SE model W126 into a bunch of stationary cars at 70mph / 110kph. The W126 crushed a bunch of other smaller cars. The front doors could still be opened on the W126.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

TheMadRacoon
C 111

Post by TheMadRacoon » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 3:40 pm

KimB wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:15 pm

I have to correct you, Kim: there should be a hyphen between "S" and "Class". Otherwise you are spot on.

[Edit: you know I'm just being cheeky!]

Now, regarding safety: I'm not qualified to say, but I'm guessing most of the safety attributes mentioned of newer cars are to avoid crashes (good) and may reduce impact speed (good). Airbags I guess are brilliant. But structurally I don't know if the cars are better or just componsating for their extra weight. The deformation of front doors at the A-pillars in controlled crash tests make me wonder what would happen in a random crash.

Close family members have had a big time crash in a W116 (missed truck, hit boulder, bounced off, collected under truck) and were (lucky) to be unscathed. The newer technology may have helped avoid all this, but I think the issue we are all having with the newer cars is the poor reliability and THAT makes me wonder how reliable these safety systems will be.

Personally I feel very safe in a W116 and W126 [Edit: better of course with ABS] I felt safe in the W140 and W220 but these are harder, and probaby getting harder or at least more expensive to ecomically maintain. After these models I found it hard to maintain interest.
Emad,
TheMadRacoon

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm not that crazy about the latest technology, if i had it i would probably turn most of it but I have minimum that all my cars must have.

Front, side and curtain airbags
ESP, ABS

Apart from that I don't really care about the rest.

Now one could argue about structural integrity etc, but who the hell really knows how well anything will hold up in a big crash. I personally would not trust any of the germans to do any better than the Japanese, everyone is cost cutting these days all over the place.

michaelm-1
Model you own: w126

Post by michaelm-1 » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 1:50 pm

I hesitate to add my 2 cents worth on the topic as most members know far more than me about these things but it seems to me that the modern Mercs are not always as bad as suggested. As I posted earlier at present I have a w126 420 SEL and w 220 S430.
I previously had a w 126 300 SEL and members of my immediate family have or have had over the years 2 x w123 , 2x w124 , 1 x w 208 , 1 x c 218 and 1 x w 209 .
My w 126s have at various times cost some serious money to keep properly up to spec ( but then again I have done big mileages in them ). I also continue to appreciate the quality of them hence while I have probably spent uneconomic amounts of money in one sense in keeping them in shape I think it is reasonable economy compared with the costs of new purchase with associated depreciation and repayment costs.
The w 220 was purchased with great trepidation but I like the look of them and the price was dirt cheap - so far apart from replacing the discs and pads it has been nice and reliable and is better to drive than the w126 .
Of all the cars that have been run by the family the significant issues have been a wiring issue in one of the w 124s and a CLK Cabriolet that was as unreliable as an 80s Alfa - that experience almost prevented the purchase of the c218 but that vehicle ( the c128 ) has been faultless.
So the experience is that the old ones were not without issues - one with a significant wiring issue , one of the newer models was very bad and the rest have been generally happy experiences ( having typed that I will cross my fingers etc and hope I haven't jinxed the w220.
michaelm

TheMadRacoon
C 111

Post by TheMadRacoon » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 7:47 pm

To be fair, an owner who has problems with a car / brand is 100x more likely to write about their experiences, so thank you michaelm-1 for sharing your experiences.
Emad,
TheMadRacoon

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Ivanerrol » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:53 pm

It's probably also a truism that buying an older "golden age - engineered like no other car" Benz, fixing it up and then maintaining it over a few years is most likely half the depreciation cost of the cheapest new Benz.
(even taking into consideration the eco wiring era, known head gasket issues and transmission rebuilds).
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 12:23 pm

AN old car will usually never cost you anywhere near what you will loose in depreciation alone on a new car. However, what people fail to take into account (Me from my own experience) Is the inconvenience factor and time factor of keeping and old car running. I have a early E90 BMW, it's cost a small fortune but it is still pittance to what it would have cost if I had bought it new.

The problem though is I'm at a stage in my life where I'm starting to value my time and I'm not enjoying working on cars like I use to and having a brake down is now a major inconvenience in my life so new cars are starting to look very appealing, in saying that though, I don't think I could ever spend 60-150K on car, to me that's just a ridiculous amount of money for some metal.

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:22 pm

+1 from me.

Since being a father, my spare time is at a premium.
I have a 2002 passat that did not cost me much, but needs my attention ever so often.
I have changed quite a few bits on it (shocks/power steering pump/A/C compressor/front suspension arms), but nowhere near depreciation of a new car.

The depreciation on a new car just happens in the background, and you do not feel it until you trade it in. :wall:

Also, comparing an old 60k Passat with a new 25k HyunKia is apples and oranges.

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "missus car"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (my new commuter bus)

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Ivanerrol » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 9:07 pm

When your retired, spare time is full time - so something needs to keep your self occupied out of the house and an excuse to not be full time baby sitter to grandkids. :dance:
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 12:17 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:
Wed 11 Oct, 2017 9:07 pm
When your retired, spare time is full time - so something needs to keep your self occupied out of the house and an excuse to not be full time baby sitter to grandkids. :dance:
Unfortunately for me I'm just at the beginning of loosing my time :D (have a 1 year old) So I have quite a bit of time till I get to your time, although I am already looking forward to it and planning projects 20 years in advance haha

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Ivanerrol » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 8:15 pm

aleks001 wrote:
Thu 12 Oct, 2017 12:17 pm
I am already looking forward to it and planning projects 20 years in advance haha
Over the years every projection of the future has turned out to be :bs:

Especially the dooms day ones.

As you get older the more skeptical you get - especially with the latest round of bolloxy predictions.

As the great Yogi Berra once said :
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

I worked on the largest Gas Field in the world in 1978/79. One of the Major companies (actually now the biggest)
One day the big honchos from New York turned up for a conference with every worker.

Their prediction. ------ The world would run out of oil by 2000. :boohoo:
(in actual fact that prediction was partly true - the world ran out of easy oil just a few years later).

Another truthful prediction : There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes Benz. :naughty:

Ivanerrol's sage advice. Own your own property outright and get out of debt ASAP. Then you can make a plan for the future. :drunken:
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 7:46 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:
Thu 12 Oct, 2017 8:15 pm
aleks001 wrote:
Thu 12 Oct, 2017 12:17 pm
I am already looking forward to it and planning projects 20 years in advance haha
Over the years every projection of the future has turned out to be :bs:

Especially the dooms day ones.

As you get older the more skeptical you get - especially with the latest round of bolloxy predictions.

As the great Yogi Berra once said :
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

I worked on the largest Gas Field in the world in 1978/79. One of the Major companies (actually now the biggest)
One day the big honchos from New York turned up for a conference with every worker.

Their prediction. ------ The world would run out of oil by 2000. :boohoo:
(in actual fact that prediction was partly true - the world ran out of easy oil just a few years later).

Another truthful prediction : There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes Benz. :naughty:

Ivanerrol's sage advice. Own your own property outright and get out of debt ASAP. Then you can make a plan for the future. :drunken:
Everything you said is true. I'm working very hard at the last part. I'm allergic to debt. It's like a guillotine hanging over your head every day of your life. Doesn't matter how secure your job is things in this world have a nasty habit of changing super quick

T-Modell
SLS AMG

Post by T-Modell » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 8:23 pm

aleks001 wrote:
Fri 13 Oct, 2017 7:46 pm
... I'm allergic to debt. It's like a guillotine hanging over your head every day of your life. ...
So, you're not an Aussie? :laughing6: :laughing6: ... never met anyone down under who doesn't "easily" live on debt. 30 years of no crisis down under have made the people in Australia very confident, when it comes to making debts, even for holidays. That's of course just my - biased - opinion.

Best regards
Thomas
---------------------------------------------------------------
1967 W111 250SE Cabriolet, horizon blue
1973 W115 220D 5.0 Pick-Up Argentina, work in progress 2017/18
1986 R107 500SL, arctic white, the midlife crisis viagra replacement
2007 R171 SLK350, calcit white
2008 S211 E63T, calcit white, sleeper

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 8:46 pm

T-Modell wrote:
Fri 13 Oct, 2017 8:23 pm
aleks001 wrote:
Fri 13 Oct, 2017 7:46 pm
... I'm allergic to debt. It's like a guillotine hanging over your head every day of your life. ...
So, you're not an Aussie? :laughing6: :laughing6: ... never met anyone down under who doesn't "easily" live on debt. 30 years of no crisis down under have made the people in Australia very confident, when it comes to making debts, even for holidays. That's of course just my - biased - opinion.

Best regards
Thomas
Ahaha I'm not (spot on) although one would argue living here for most of my life it makes me pretty damn aussie mate lol. I was actually going to write, Because I'm ethnic I hate debt, but then I remembered that most of the people in my community are up to their necks in debt so it really doesn't mean anything anymore. I'm not to sure where I got my hate of debt to be honest with you, it must be in the blood somewhere :D I do notice though that in general Australians really have no issues with debt and will pretty much borrow as much as allowed and will borrow for the stupidest things. There is a couple of older guys that work with me (close to retirement) and I ask them if they ready to stop working. It always shocks me when they say they can't afford to. What the hell have they been doing here their whole lives! If they made such poor decisions at a time when house prices and cost of living was low it's honestly quite scary how this new generation will cope when the cost of everything is through the roof.

TheMadRacoon
C 111

Post by TheMadRacoon » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 10:04 pm

Hehe. And to think this entire thread started with an observation about the cost of two plastic side covers of a dashboard.....
Emad,
TheMadRacoon

aleks001
250s

Post by aleks001 » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 2:08 pm

TheMadRacoon wrote:
Fri 13 Oct, 2017 10:04 pm
Hehe. And to think this entire thread started with an observation about the cost of two plastic side covers of a dashboard.....
Yeah this thread has been all over the place haha

Return to “General Mercedes-Benz related.”