Information for a newbie on Mercs....

1953-1961: 180, 180a, 180b, 180c, 180D, 180Db, 190, 190b, 190D, 190Db, 220a, 220S, 220S cabrio., 220S coupe 220SE, 220SE coupe, 220SE cabrio.
wilsonjermy
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w121

Information for a newbie on Mercs....

Post by wilsonjermy » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 6:42 am

Hello All,

I like some feedback on the following. I am a pure vehicle driver. I am not a mechanic and I have very limited knowledge about car mechanics. I am able to change oil, and do very very light things. I always wanted a Mercedes Benz 190 that were made in the 1950s. I love those cars. I am interested in buying one, but before I go in that road and regret buying it, I like anyone to provide some feedback and recommendation whether is it worth to buy or not.
For example, information on:
is it expensive to maintain a car like MB 121 model (made in 1956 - 1960, MB 190).
is it hard to find parts for this type of car - not recurring parts? is the part considered expensive or reasonable or cheap?
is it hard to find recurring maintenance parts for this car? like oil filters or spark plugs etc...
is it hard to find a mechanic that is able to fix this type of car? will he be specialized or a general mechanic?
can this car be used as the main car? to drive daily and for long return trips on holidays? for example from NSW - QLD or VIC?
is it hard to learn how to do the maintenance for this car? as it is not complicated like the new cars?
from my questions, i"m sure it gave an idea my level of information about the mechanics for these type of cars.
Please feel free to provide any recommendation or comments to help me decide whether to buy a car like this or not.

thank you all ,
regards,

efirestorer
C Class
Model you own: w180

Re: Information for a newbie on Mercs....

Post by efirestorer » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:22 pm

One piece of information missing from your question - where are you located ? If in Melbourne eg I can recommend certain mechanics - otherwise in other locations others will be able to advise. As to whether these cars are suitable as daily drivers - YES - I drove a 1959 220S with Hydrak ( semi automatic transmission - no clutch pedal ) to and from work from 1978 to 1995 and then in retirement. Some of the work locations were 100 miles from home - the Benz would always get me there. Spark plugs , easily obtained - you may have to order oil filters but also obtainable , otherwise most parts are available from the forum sponsor. The cars are easily maintained - I am not a mechanic but have been able to do most things myself. If you have set your mind on a 4 cylinder ponton so be it , but I would suggest you also look at the six cylinder versions , they have more of a luxury feel about them and more power. If you want to see what they look like send me your email address and I will send a photo of my car or you could look at the mbz.ponton.org web site to see a large number of the various models in the photo gallery. John

cuisses
300 SLR
Model you own: w108

Post by cuisses » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 1:37 pm

I've never owned one of these cars, but I have driven a few examples. They should be cheap to maintain - although fuel costs will be high compared to a modern car. Driving them takes a little bit of getting used to.
They will be easy to work on because they are old - and all parts will be available, pretty easily, from for instance the forum sponsor.

For long trips on country roads they would be fine. I suspect driving one in say Sydney or Melbourne on a regular basis, would be possible, but not totally trivial, just because they cannot accelerate or decelerate as fast as modern cars, and other drivers do not always account for this.

Their major drawback would be crash-worthiness. There is some dispute as to whether they had crumple zones or not. In the following video it looks like they do, but in any case I wouldn't want to crash one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21BmnLJRxk8

People don't normally think too much about crashes when they choose an older car, but my assumption is that I am going to crash.
David Williams

W108 280SE 4.5 (Papyrus White and Palomino)

wilsonjermy
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w121

Post by wilsonjermy » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 4:56 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your comments, real appreciate it. I will be located in Sydney.
As for speed, how much can it go up to? I mean on highway, can it reach 100 or 110 k/h?
Does these cars have heating or cool air? (I'm sure they don't have air con). I found one vehicle on carsales.com.au, is there other sites where I can find more for sale to look at. It does not have to be in Sydney, I'm willing to travel to get to Sydney.
thanks again,

efirestorer
C Class
Model you own: w180

Post by efirestorer » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 6:16 pm

In MPH a 6 cylinder ponton can reach 90 MPH and is very comfortable at 70 MPH , the six does have heating but only air conditioning if aftermarket fitted , ( can be done ). My 6 would get 30 MPG if driven sedately.

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 5:02 pm

A 190 in good nick is a great driver. A customer of mine restored one himself over two years,and he aint no motor mechanic...I did the engine which only required a fresh set of bearings and a rebore. Everything else is OK. It has a weber DGV which gives a great increase in torque and better fuel economy. It gets along great and is quicker away from the lights than a lot of more modern cars. All parts are available easily and quickly ,which you can't say for the popular brands of classic cars .

Return to “W105, W120, W121, W180, W128 Sedans, Coupes and Cabriolets”