Oldest mercedes Diesel In Australia ?

Commercial Vehicle & Unimog Discussions and Information.
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Oldest mercedes Diesel In Australia ?

Post by Mercmad » Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:53 pm

img_0057.jpg
my neighbor has moved this monster out of his Workshop and it's heading for the National Road transport Museum.
it's a 1927-1930 L truck ,with twin bogey drive and a crude oil engine ( crude oil is what diesel was called in those days) . The Mercedes museum has a petrol version and it is believed this is the last one left in the World.

To give you an idea of the scale of this truck,that wheel is almost 3 feet diameter.
img_0055.jpg
it would have been imported by August Hoete ,who advertised them in the late 1920's and the first owner was the predecessor of the Australian Air force
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

O305owner
C Class

Re: Oldest mercedes Diesel In Australia ?

Post by O305owner » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 1:25 am

Would it have needed a crank to get going?

I would have to say that would have to be the oldest survivor in oz

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 1:30 pm

it's the only known one in the World ,only the museum in Stuttgart has a one similar and it's a petrol version. :occasion5:
You could crank it but I dont think it has a decompression lever . I love big old diesels and would love to have gotten my hands on it.

O305owner
C Class

Post by O305owner » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 2:07 am

So she starts off a battery?
Just asking coz one of the members of the club I have my old girls (spring chickens compared to this) has a 1914 Tilling Stephens truck and it's a temperamental old girl (can only be crank started) the owner had it running around his yard the week before Eastern Creek (he's got a nice big one by the creek at Turrella, when it's not full of buses) , started fine off the crank and I'd assume same again when it was taken off the low loader at Eastern Creek, but to get it started to get back on again took some persuasion from another members 70's Land Rover....

I tried searching for Oz based Merc trucks on the net, but, there's a gap from this through to the 1960's/70's (at least on the net who knows what's in someones shed or in a paddock somewhere) with there being a fair few of the L series trucks coming through

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 8:29 am

There are some post war ones around. I saw an early 50's one on ebay earlier this year. August Hoette bought in a lot of trucks in the post war period before the Factory consolidated the importation . So there must be some pre 1960's trucks still hiding somewhere as you suggest. Because of the sheer size of most trucks they are overlooked as a resto project.
Tilling Stephens made some good trucks but I'll bet his problem is magneto based with the magnets needing recharging. back,in the dark mists of time, you had to strip your magneto every so often and get the local garage to recharge your magnets. They would run a current through them and once done,the spark would once again put a mig welder to shame.
There is only one place in Queensland doing it now,TRuck Electrics, Rocklea .
The oldest truck I ever worked on a was a 1920 Dennis I dug out of a Wreckers in Condobolin (NSW) and pulled it apart to send to a collector in UK. He wanted a diff (Massive Bronze worm drive unit) and it was the only one in the World he could find.

C 111
Model you own: L319
Region: Other (please specify below)

Post by 70499 » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 3:53 pm

A story to go along with this truck...... April 2012. i wonder what the final out come was regarding ownership.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/rar ... r/1353300/

A RARE truck is at the centre of a tense ownership battle between the Lockyer Valley Regional Council and one of the largest road transport museums in Australia.

The 1928 N56 Daimler-Benz, one of two known to be in Australia, is in secure storage in the Lockyer Valley while police and legal teams try to find who is the rightful owner.

Alice Springs National Road and Transport Hall of Fame chief executive officer Liz Martin said the truck was donated to the museum by a man whose name could not be disclosed.

She said when the hall of fame sent a road train to retrieve the truck from a panel beater in Moorooka, Brisbane, it had disappeared.

"When our driver arrived at the panel beater he was told the truck had been picked up already by someone in a tilt tray," she said.

"They told him it had been taken to Gympie."

After searching relentlessly throughout Queensland for the historic rig, Ms Martin managed to track it down in the most unlikely of places - Gatton.

"We found out it was being used as a restoration project for the Gatton Men's Shed which is run by the Lockyer Valley Regional Council," Ms Martin said.

"But they told me it was donated to them and we haven't been able to find out by whom."

A LVRC spokesman said council had been working with the Queensland Police Service to confirm the owner and determine what they should do with the vehicle.

"A person believed to be the rightful owner has requested council hold the vehicle until their return from overseas next week," he said.

The spokesman said discussions between the two parties had broken down and were now in the hands of legal teams.

"Council had been communicating in good faith with the Alice Springs-based National Road Transport Hall of Fame. However, since that organisation enlisted legal representation, council now considers it proper that all future communication occurs through each other's legal representation," he said.

"Until the Queensland Police Service has resolved the matter, it would be inappropriate for council to comment any further, other than to strenuously deny the allegations made towards the organisation."
Brad.

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Post by pastelgrey300D » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:14 am

when the hall of fame sent a road train to retrieve the truck from a panel beater in Moorooka, Brisbane, it had disappeared.
It was Mercmad!!! Bahahahaha! :laughing5:
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Wed 16 Jan, 2013 8:42 pm

It was only a few feet from house,,,,
I'm wondering how or why on the Gatton guys thought they could come and take it? Wolff told me before it was even moved out of the shop that was being donated to the Truck Museum .

John Green
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 9:59 am

70499 wrote:A story to go along with this truck...... April 2012. i wonder what the final out come was regarding ownership.

"
Given the age of that article I would wonder what the outcome was??
M.B Spares & Service 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT. Ph 02 6239 1099

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.

C 111

Post by 70499 » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 4:55 pm

From another site where I borrowed this article from, I believe lawyers are all envolved. Something that was free is now going to cost $$$$$$$$.
Apparently, the picture of the truck was taken 10 years ago and all the timber work has now rotted due to the outside elments.

John Green wrote:
70499 wrote:A story to go along with this truck...... April 2012. i wonder what the final out come was regarding ownership.

"
Given the age of that article I would wonder what the outcome was??
Brad.

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Fri 18 Jan, 2013 7:50 pm

Apparently, the picture of the truck was taken 10 years ago and all the timber work has now rotted due to the outside elments.
Thats not right because the The wood was all new,I only took the pic last year when it was parked in the street. 10 years ago the wood had just been started and the truck has always been inside sleeping beauties.
The only scruffy parts were the radiator and the front guards which had been stripped and primed but not straightened out.

I saw the big tilt tray that picked it up and looked strange because most firms that come to pickup from wolfs are normally very high end carriers, not a scruffy ten tonner .

O305owner
C Class

Post by O305owner » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 12:43 am

70499 wrote:From another site where I borrowed this article from, I believe lawyers are all envolved. Something that was free is now going to cost $$$$$$$$.
Sounds like a lawyers picnic....

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 1:53 pm

Speaking with the guys at Sleeping beuaties last week and they said the bloke who picked it up was genuine and they didn't think anything was wrong about it. Apparently it was the Museum who bummed around and were taking too long to pick it up. Wolf was just glad to see it gone from the street where it was taking taking up scarce parking.
The only winners will be the legal vultures.
http://youtu.be/wavHO6wZm_A
A little history with an interesting twist at the end when it is revealed who is driving the truck on the test track... :laughing6: :laughing6:

New123
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by New123 » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 2:27 pm

Fangio! - The original "Stig"!
Toby

C 111

Post by 70499 » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 7:09 pm

New contender for the oldest MB diesel.

Another project for mercmad :dontknow:

1925 Benz Sendling tractor. Auction 17th October.

http://www.batesauction.info/tractorgallery.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad.

cuisses
300 SLR
Model you own: w108

Post by cuisses » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 7:39 pm

70499 wrote:New contender for the oldest MB diesel.

Is Mercmad going to want to drive something that has only 2 cylinders? :snooty: His lawnmower has 8.

There is a nice set of 4 rusty wheels which I am sure would fit his new SEC (with a bit of modification). Some of the stuff there looks great, particularly the crawlers, but I'm not sure what anyone would do with it.
David Williams

W108 280SE 4.5 (Papyrus White and Palomino)

GrampiansMerc
500 K

Post by GrampiansMerc » Wed 18 Sep, 2013 10:50 am

There is a Benz 3 wheel tractor which is older than that one at Swan Hill Pioneer Village
It was restored a while ago and a interesting article was in Restored Cars Magazine a couple of years ago.

Not sure about crank starting, apparently they use gunpowder to start them! (salt petre soaked paper/cloth), but it is a bugger of a job :angryfire:
So mostly they tow start it.

http://www.pioneersettlement.com.au/restorations.aspx
1980 300TD "Anna" - 400,000kms and still cruising, converted to SVO
1979 300D - sold, gone to be restored
1980 300D - "Lightning" recently purchased and currently making repairs
2006 Musso - Korean Mercedes, 5 cylinder diesel - Blown head gasket, buggered motor, grrrrrrr (I will stick with German Mercs)
Looking for 300GD LWB five door!
http://www.overlander300td.wordpress.com/

I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe

C 111

Post by 70499 » Fri 18 Oct, 2013 1:32 am

70499 wrote:New contender for the oldest MB diesel.

I'm led to believe that the Benz Sending was sold today at auction for $102000.00
Brad.

GrampiansMerc
500 K

Post by GrampiansMerc » Sat 19 Oct, 2013 8:38 pm

Wow that is a lot of money for a rather stationary tractor :laughing5:

I wonder what Swan Hills 3 wheeler is worth....
1980 300TD "Anna" - 400,000kms and still cruising, converted to SVO
1979 300D - sold, gone to be restored
1980 300D - "Lightning" recently purchased and currently making repairs
2006 Musso - Korean Mercedes, 5 cylinder diesel - Blown head gasket, buggered motor, grrrrrrr (I will stick with German Mercs)
Looking for 300GD LWB five door!
http://www.overlander300td.wordpress.com/

I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe

Return to “O319/L319, Commercial vehicles and Unimogs”