EOI 1950 170s

1935-1953: 170V, 170S, 170SAC, 170SBC, 170Va, 170Vb, 170S-V, 170S-D, 170D, 170Da, 170DaOTP, 170Db, 170Sb, 170DS, 220sedan, 220a cabrio., 200b cabrio., 220 coupe, type 300, type 300b, type 300c, type 300Lang, type 300d, type 300 S, type 300 Sc,
CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

EOI 1950 170s

Post by CraigB » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 1:52 am

Not expecting to be overrun here, but had one of those busy weekends where nothing seemed to get done, and I have seen another car (as you do), not enough space and then you start running through the list and considering a cull!

I bought the car some years ago from a SA MB club member David Read. He is no dope and has a huge collection of cars but sold it for similar reasons to me. I bought it in pieces, which you generally never do, but I trust him. The car has had a full bare metal respray in a deep red and you can see one of the repairs from inside the boot that it has been done to a very high standard. Bumpers have been done too and rechromed and still bound in plastic. Also I had a new Aust Standards windscreen made for it, all other glass good. The not so good...... chassis needs painting and I haven't really looked closely at the suspension but it doesn't look like it has been rebuilt. Needs a full retrim, but the lovely comfortable cloth seats have all the padding etc.and just need the retrim. Grille is yet to be chromed, but I had it stripped and it doesn't need a lot of work. All the lights, guages etc are there and in good condition. I haven't been through the boxes of trim to check it was all there, also the self oiling system has been dismantled but there is a box full of pipe work there. I can't remember what was said about the mechanicals but I think they were 'apparently rebuilt' or running from memory - I can recheck with David, but if you are like me you wouldn't trust that. I would pull the sump off, bearing caps and check the bearings and use some plastiguage to measure, probably pull the head off or at the least get a scope down there. It is a sidevalve and it may be possible to view the seats ( I can see them in the Amilcar!) and look over the gearbox and diff - usually if they are worn you can tell.

Interested in what people think it is worth too. To me these are such different and classic looking cars (every time i see a WW2 movie I look for the benzes that look very similar) - exposed headlights, suicide doors, high sides with small windows and yet from the one I drove they are a very useable 'vintage car' - no rocket but able to row it through the gears and good handling. I think the ones sold are way undervalued in my mind but the market is what it is. Last one looked good to me that sold at shannons for $10k I think, but I think Des said it wasn't great. If it is only worth a few thousand then I will just hang onto it and move something else, but thought I would put it out there just in case someone had a burning desire to own one. I would strongly recommend an inspection but as a guide I think it is best for someone like me that can do a lot of the work themselves, but having said that, a lot of the expensive stuff has been done and you are mainly looking at the cost of retrim and rubbers etc, maybe some suspension bits - but cheaper than buying a rust one, pulling it down and then building it back up again.

Car is at my place in Adelaide.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Re: EOI 1950 170s

Post by Mercmad » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:23 am

Craig,they seem to fetch good money but the wooden body frame puts a lot off. Why don't you try Classic cars for sale UK.com
The ads are free and the coverage is world wide so real buyers are always looking for that elusive purchase.
You didn't mention hogans heros... :lol:

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: EOI 1950 170s

Post by CraigB » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for the tip Ron. I will need to dig it all out and take lots of photos for that. This is actually a 's' so it has separate oval chassis and everything, but no actual wood i the body (although the shape and skins are the same) so best of all worlds. I think it is the 'v' that has the wooden body.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Return to “W136, W186, W187, W188, W189”