ATF OIL

1971-1989: 280SL, 280SLC, 300SL, 350SL, 350SLC, 380SL, 380SLC, 420SL, 450SL, 450SLC, 450SLC 5.0, 500SL, 500SLC, 560SL
dallasf
C Class
Model you own: w107

ATF OIL

Post by dallasf »

Hi,

I am sorry if this has been discussed before and I have searched the forums just haven't really found the right answer.

I have a 78 450SLC and have a small transmission leak. My mechanic said its not a big deal its just a small part/seal which has cracked that is slowly dripping oil. Apparently, he has to remove the exhaust to get to it, which requires some time.

I am taking his word for it as he has been very good to me.

It has been about 6 months and I have noticed the oil a bit, but not much. However, I want to ensure that it is to the correct level.

What is the best ATF oil in Australia to use for my car?

I understand to test the level I must get the car running and up to 80 before checking. But at some stage I am going to have to drain it to fix the problem, so just wondering about the the best type.

Thanks for your help.
Silver 1978 450SLC - 'Jaws'
Chai
OZBENZ moderator

Re: ATF OIL

Post by Chai »

Don't know if it's the best but last used Castrol Transmax M and the Castrol website now shows it has been replaced by Castrol ATF Heavy Duty.
The service manual for my 1974 model specificed DEXRON II and this fluid is compatible.

Check level only after returning from a decent drive (i.e. not just a 5 minute run around the block) and park on level ground.
Leave the engine running and automatic in park.
(Wear vinyl gloves). Remove automatic dip stick (next to spark plug #4).
Wipe clean.
Fully insert dip stick.
Pull out and level should be between the 2 lines marked on the dip stick.
Switch off engine.

It's one litre [Edit: is actually 0.3 litres] between the low and high mark.
I've saved and reuse a one litre ATF container that has a 10mm plastic nozzle and the refill is via the dipstick tube.

Do NOT overfill - excess fluid must be drained. I've never done this but think a long plastic tube inserted into the dipstick tube provides the suction option.
Chai
1974 450SLC
dallasf
C Class

Post by dallasf »

Fantastic Chai!

Thanks so much for the recommendation and the detailed instructions. :dance:
Silver 1978 450SLC - 'Jaws'
Chai
OZBENZ moderator

Post by Chai »

Ha Ha! I overfilled the auto when topping it up yesterday as I thought it was a litre between the two marks. Found the correct value is 0.3 litre from the MB service manuals - this information is NOT in the owner's manual. Topped up as the hot temperature level was half-way between the low and high marks.
Had a very long clear plastic tube but didn't have any suction tools. Found it is possible to slowly draw out the excess fluid by sucking on one end of the tube.
Thank goodness I only needed to draw out 0.1 litre.
Chai
1974 450SLC
Christo C
Zeppelin
Model you own: w124
Region: New South Wales

Post by Christo C »

Here’s a tip - save those little plastic pumps as used for bathroom soap, shower gel, shampoo, handcream etc. dispensers; they often fit into longer lengths of tube and are real handy to pump out Transmission, Brake & Steering fluids especially in cases of overfill.
~Christo
W124.023 1986 230E M102.982 Thistle Green Saloon "Janis" 345,678+Km
Beaconsfield, SYDNEY
Chai
OZBENZ moderator

Post by Chai »

Thanks for the tip about using a liquid dispenser pump. Great idea.
Chai
1974 450SLC