SLC wiper popped off

1971-1989: 280SL, 280SLC, 300SL, 350SL, 350SLC, 380SL, 380SLC, 420SL, 450SL, 450SLC, 450SLC 5.0, 500SL, 500SLC, 560SL
Post Reply
User avatar
TheMadRacoon
C 111
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Melbourne

SLC wiper popped off

Post by TheMadRacoon » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:30 pm

Went to lift the driver's side wiper arm on my SLC and pop, the arm came off when I stood it up. I unhooked it as the spring became detached. There is an alloy "hook" which looks either broken (but I didn't see any broken parts fall out) or has opened up.

Can anyone tell from the photos if it is ok or needs replacement?

If ok, is it a matter of just hooking the spring onto the slot in the wiper arm at one end, and the wire bracket at the other end? And the alloy hook (not fingers) hook onto the pin at the base of the wiper arm? Any trivks to it or special tools?

And if it does need replacement, has anyone have one for sale? Or I will try MB Spares, just need to know first if replacement is required.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

User avatar
AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Posts: 5631
Joined: Thu 01 Jan, 1970 11:00 am
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by AMG » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:35 pm

Time for a new pair of wiper arms.

they have a letter pressed into them - you need to make sure you get the same one.

w116 should be a suitable donor, if you have trouble finding. perhaps w123 - not sure. It's a very very long time ago when I did mine - and I'm rusty on the detail.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Vogue SE 4sp auto Ardenne Green "Oswald"
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.

User avatar
TheMadRacoon
C 111
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Melbourne

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by TheMadRacoon » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks Joe.

I think the W123s are parallel sweep and look slightly different, whereas the W116 have the same sweep and parking position. I'll try MB Spares or Mercmad, hopefully they may have one with some life left in it (hoping an '80s model will be identical, or a late 70s if W116).
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

User avatar
TheMadRacoon
C 111
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Melbourne

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by TheMadRacoon » Thu 24 Aug, 2017 7:20 pm

Found a W116 (280S) at Imlach's (Centre Rd, Springvale.... Melbourne) so I was lucky to get a cheap pair of complete wiper arms on good condition (but needinf a good clean).

Not so lucky though as they're very different to the SLC arms in every detail (except, iirc, the metal frames that hold the wiper rubber and their backing strip). So though they look similar the end result would be the wiper blades would ride the chrome trim on top of the winscreen and eventually damage both.

The W116 arms are beefier and the proportions are different, no doubt suited in size and performance to the larger - wider, deeper - S-Class windscreen.
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

User avatar
John Green
OZBENZ Admin
Posts: 6357
Joined: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 4:49 am
Model you own: w124
Location: Canberra-center of the known universe
Contact:

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by John Green » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 8:37 pm

We are dismantling an SLC at the momment, arms should still be on it.
Save up to 50% on your Mercedes-Benz parts. Phone toll free on 1300 787 300

M.B Spares 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT. Please send parts requests to spares@mbspares.com.au not via the forum messenger system.

http://mbspares.com.au

dallasf
C Class
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon 22 Aug, 2016 11:58 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by dallasf » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 11:31 pm

TheMadRacoon wrote:
Thu 24 Aug, 2017 7:20 pm
Found a W116 (280S) at Imlach's (Centre Rd, Springvale.... Melbourne) so I was lucky to get a cheap pair of complete wiper arms on good condition (but needinf a good clean).

Not so lucky though as they're very different to the SLC arms in every detail (except, iirc, the metal frames that hold the wiper rubber and their backing strip). So though they look similar the end result would be the wiper blades would ride the chrome trim on top of the winscreen and eventually damage both.

The W116 arms are beefier and the proportions are different, no doubt suited in size and performance to the larger - wider, deeper - S-Class windscreen.
Did that w116 happen to have the wheels still on it? Save me a trip from torquay. Thanks.
Silver 1978 450SLC - 'Jaws'

User avatar
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Posts: 7927
Joined: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 9:01 pm
Model you own: w109
Location: Brissy
Contact:

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by Mercmad » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 1:46 pm

Are you familiar with the expression "Rooted" ? I haven't any i dont think .
TheMadRacoon wrote:
Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:30 pm
Went to lift the driver's side wiper arm on my SLC and pop, the arm came off when I stood it up. I unhooked it as the spring became detached. There is an alloy "hook" which looks either broken (but I didn't see any broken parts fall out) or has opened up.

Can anyone tell from the photos if it is ok or needs replacement?

If ok, is it a matter of just hooking the spring onto the slot in the wiper arm at one end, and the wire bracket at the other end? And the alloy hook (not fingers) hook onto the pin at the base of the wiper arm? Any trivks to it or special tools?

And if it does need replacement, has anyone have one for sale? Or I will try MB Spares, just need to know first if replacement is required.

Thank you!

User avatar
TheMadRacoon
C 111
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Melbourne

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by TheMadRacoon » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 9:42 pm

dallasf wrote:
Wed 30 Aug, 2017 11:31 pm

Did that w116 happen to have the wheels still on it? Save me a trip from torquay. Thanks.
Sorry for late reply, been travelling. Yes it did but that was a week ago. Steel I think but I can't be certain, I wasn't paying attention to them. There was also a W126 280S and another W126 at least
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

User avatar
TheMadRacoon
C 111
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Melbourne

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by TheMadRacoon » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 9:43 pm

John Green wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 8:37 pm
We are dismantling an SLC at the momment, arms should still be on it.
Thanks John.
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

User avatar
TheMadRacoon
C 111
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Melbourne

Re: SLC wiper popped off

Post by TheMadRacoon » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 9:45 pm

Mercmad wrote:
Thu 31 Aug, 2017 1:46 pm
Are you familiar with the expression "Rooted" ? I haven't any i dont think .
No problem Ron.
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

Post Reply

Return to “W107 Coupe and Roadster models”