W121 Roadster 1955-1963 190SL
W198 Coupe 'Gullwing' and Roadster models
georgemcd
B Class
Model you own: w113

A sad tale for a new member

Post by georgemcd » Sun 02 Jan, 2011 8:32 am

Hi,

My name is George and I have just joined the site, after Bob from Brisbane told me about it. I post on the Pagoda site in the US, but there is nothing like a home grown version.

We own a 65 230 SL. We have owned her for about 8 years. I say we, but actually its my wife`s - I bought it for her for an anniversary present. The we bit comes in as; she drives it and I get to clean, service, maintain etc etc -perhaps you have a similar arrangement in your household. It suits me fine though.

Its not our first classic car though, having had a string of pommy cars - MGA, MG TF, XK 150 Jag, two Austin Healey 3000s and I finally crossed the channel to Germany and have been happy ever since. Early this year we had a 3000 and the Pagoda at the same time. They used to sit side by side in the garage. I had restored the Healey so it was in near concours - original condition. What was interesting was the comparison. Looking at the engine compartments of each, the Healey (it was a 64) looked like it was built in someones back yard whereas the Merc looked just so sophisticated (and is). In the end, one of them had to go - ultimately the Healey lost and was sold because it was like driving a billy cart.

Our Pagoda is Midnight Blue with grey interior. The previous owner had restored her and with white walls, she used to look spectacular. Sadly I have to say used as a couple of weeks before Christmas, my wife had a major argument with a telegraph pole and lost badly. Luckily she was ok but our car bore the brunt of the telegraph poles` wrath. So, I am back in the restoration game. There are numerous bits and pieces that I will be requiring, but the main ones that are causing me angst are a bonnet, RH guard and grill. Plenty available overseas; K & K, SLS, Merc Classic Centre etc, but it would be great if they were available locally.

If anyone could help with parts or leads we would be very appreciative.

Cheers

George

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: A sad tale for a new member

Post by CraigB » Sun 02 Jan, 2011 9:43 am

Welcome George and sorry to hear the bad news. I will keep thinking about this but I don't know of any SA sources. I need to catch up with a guy called Rom here who is ex - cafasso (sa only 'official' benz repairer i think) so I will see what he knows. The only other place that springs to mind is a place called MG sales and service

http://www.mgsales.com.au/HOME.html

who i noticed had brought in and sold a couple of pagodas. Ithink the guys name is Bob Bazzika (not sure about spelling) but a decent sort of bloke who has been around for years (ie. less likely to rip you off!). Noticed he must have sold them but he must have some knowledge of the model I guess and i think he is constantly importing from the states. Point being is that it might be worth a call in case he can come up with something in the states and stick it in one of his containers. Then of course you have to get it north and maybe you have someone local with a different marque that could do something similar.

Best of luck and like I said will keep it in mind - must have been heartbreaking!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

drew56cus
Große
Model you own: w111

Post by drew56cus » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 2:36 pm

Ah, I think I saw the poor little thing at MBQ paint and panel (or whatever they are called now) when I stopped in there before Xmas. You must be really attached to it to try to resurrect it. It would have been a lovely looking car though.

Don't forget that finnies can supply many mechanical parts - I think the MBQ guy was saying you will need a new front subframe, but you can get used ones from 111 or 108 cheap and just put kits through the king pins. I have given several front ends away and will have one with worn king pins available soon.

I have a soft spot for Healeys though - it is interesting that you are the 2nd person to tell me the Healeys look good but are not so great to drive.
Cheers,
Drew
Drew
'65 220SE 4.5 Frankenbenz finnie :)
'65 220SE/C (#1 project - Tenorite grey)
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 6:41 am

Drew,

You are right about the logic of what I should have done with the Pagoda, but the problem with owning a classic car is that sometimes emotion gets in the way of logic. Its my wife`s car, we both enjoy owning and driving it, and yes our Pagoda is a spectacular car to drive - the classic shape, dark blue against the chrome and the white walls make her a feel good car to be in. To cruise down for coffee on Sunday morning lifts the spirits..........

Re the front end, I have already located a 108 front end which should do the trick.

Healeys; now you are talking about emotion, especially by their owners. In our case, the Healey was on a hiding to nothing, because it was being directly compared to our 230SL, and in that comparison, which is really an apple and orange comparison, they are like a billy cart. They have a horse cart suspension, they are impossibly hot in the cabin in summer, in summer traffic you must constantly watch the temp guage, not the speed or rpms as their cooling was designed for a cold English winter, noisy unless you have the hood down but have an exhaust note that sends shivers down your spine and are fun to drive - for short distances (in the winter). We would still own ours if we could have justified financially having two classics (thats the logic part).

Thanks for the post.

George

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Mon 10 Jan, 2011 9:05 am

George, the only choice for new panels is from the Classic Center as you probably know, and any pagoda is repairable, ( look at some of the rotten examples that restored in Europe as an example) .Just a couple of months ago, Wolf was saying that the cost of the panels compares with modern cars favorably because they still make piles of them, but it's the cost of shipping from the manufacturer to Australia that drives up the cost.

Fotografa
OZBENZ moderator
Model you own: w107

Post by Fotografa » Mon 10 Jan, 2011 2:29 pm

1981 500SLC 040 Black on Black leather
Children that have left home:
1973 R107 450SL Icon Gold
1974 C107 450SLC Black
1971 W114 230 Arctic White
1974 W114 280E Signal red
1981 W123 280E Signal red
1974 W114 280CE Silver
1975 W114 280CE Metallic Red

skat66
E Class

Post by skat66 » Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi George,

Its certainly a sad story on your Pagoda.

I have purchased a heap of gear out of the USA from Millers, K & K and also SLS. Particularly for panels. Provided you attempt to combine the shipping where possible, those sources tend to be the best around for our cars. The parts are always correct and their shipping is prompt and service good. Lots of help from the W113 forum members there could also be handy.

Using the SLS site you should be able to identify most parts from their parts list and price them out. WIth the Aust dollar where it is at the moment it is a bit of a bonus. I put all mine together over a few years finishing the work last year so the exchange rate was around an average of $0.75 but prices have risen considerably both on eBay and from the above sellers.

Best of luck on the restoration. I have always had a desire for a midnight blue Pagoda but have never seen one that was any good. Great colour.

Garry Marks
280SL 1969 Dark Olive 291H, egg shell 230 leather interior 5 speed box
Garry
1965 230SL Light Blue
1974 VW Kombi Camper
2005 A200

treedoc
Pagoda

Post by treedoc » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 6:52 am

George,
Sad to hear of your accident, if you or your wife would like a run in a Pagoda during the repair come and spend a few hours with us at Noosa

Also suggest if you are not allready a member have a look at the Pagoda group web site www.sl113.org and in particular the threads,

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=6803.0 that one with bring a tear to your eye and,

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=12815.0 hopefully your 113 will be back on the road by then and you will be able to participate

Geoff

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: New South Wales

Post by AMG » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 9:22 am

George,

Have you called John Green? It would certainly be a good idea if you are chasing a lot of parts from OS.

He also just happens to sponsor the forum too :happy3: phone number below, above and just about everywhere else around here.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Classic 4sp auto Ardennes Green "Oswald"
2012 E63 AMG Speedshift MCT Diamantweiß "Klaus"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"

John Green
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:57 pm

We can do all the panels as new parts, sea freigth the best option due to cost. If still interested, please contact me on 1300 787 300
M.B Spares & Service 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT. Ph 02 6239 1099

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Thu 24 Feb, 2011 10:23 pm

drew56cus wrote:Ah, I think I saw the poor little thing at MBQ paint and panel (or whatever they are called now) when I stopped in there before Xmas. You must be really attached to it to try to resurrect it. It would have been a lovely looking car though.

Don't forget that finnies can supply many mechanical parts - I think the MBQ guy was saying you will need a new front subframe, but you can get used ones from 111 or 108 cheap and just put kits through the king pins. I have given several front ends away and will have one with worn king pins available soon.

I have a soft spot for Healeys though - it is interesting that you are the 2nd person to tell me the Healeys look good but are not so great to drive.
Cheers,
Drew
Hi Drew,

I am less confident that I actually have a front suspension located. You mentioned that u may have one available in the near future? Any progress on this?

George

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 6:27 pm

George ,I am close to MBQ ,i'm in Moorooka so if you haven't got a front axle I have some too. gratis.. :happy3:

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 8:38 am

Mercmad,

Its the sort of deal a bloke would be a fool to pass up and I thank you for the offer. How do I contact you?

George

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 1:20 pm

just ph 3255 8327 during the day.I'm about most of the time,if not,leave a message. I'm next door to Wolf Grod.

Aegean
Adenauer
Model you own: w186

Post by Aegean » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 9:05 am

If you can locate some good panels in the US, you can use the guys that ship cars from LA. They are always putting parts in with the cars as a sideline, and it will only take 35 - 45 days to get here.
W136 170s W186 300b W180 220s W109 6.3 C107 450 W116 6.9 W124 E320 Cab
'72 Ranchero GT, Subaru SVX x 4, Subaru Vortex, DKW F89P, DKW 3=6, Skoda Octavia Super, Skoda Felicia Cabrio,
and the odd Porsche, Holden, Tatra, Buick............

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 7:52 pm

Aegean,

Thanks for the thought.

I have ordered a pile of parts from the US - and am having them shipped by Mainfreight - an Aussie company with a depot in Los Angeles. They have been great. I have parts coming from about 6 different suppliers - they just ship them to the LA depot - cheaper than the normal freight as some of them will only ship by air. Mainfreight loads a container for Brisbane and over it comes (a month or so). They handle all customs etc and will give me a call when they are ready to pick up - from a Brisbane suburb of Hemmant, which is close to where I live. So far so good. They have been very helpful, and have given me detailed listings of what they have of mine to load which means I am confident that everything that I have ordered has at least arrived at the Mainfreight depot in LA before the ship leaves.

I`ll post how I get on when I receive the shipment and get a better idea of cost. Perhaps the only down side is that by going through Mainfreight, they collect customs so there is no chance of a shipment slipping through without customs being paid!

I have sourced all the major parts now other than the chassis leg extension from the firewall which has been bent (as it is designed to do). If you have a spare one lying around please let me know.

BTW, last week I visited a car retoration company in Brisbane - Sleeping Beauties (Google it if you havent hears about them) and there is a 280 Pagoda that has nearly finished its restoration - AWSOME. Its shown on their web site. At the same time I met a fellow member - Mercmad - and he is!!!

Cheers

George

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 7:50 am

By way of an update,

I have now sourced all the parts I need - and more (thats called project creep - but its so hard to resist with the US:Aust exchange rate being so good) and am now ready to get serious about getting the panel beating done.

MBQ are well and truly on the list however a guy called Peter Verberg has been highly recommended and I would like him to look at the job as well. Unfortunately the only contact I have is his name and the fact that he is in Ormeo (south of Brisbane). Does anyone know of Peter and have contact details?

Cheers

George
Brisbane

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin

Post by pastelgrey300D » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 12:07 pm

This came up when I googled it - listed under car restoration so possibly the same guy?

Verburg Pieter
Address: Unit 6 29 Blanck St, Ormeau, QLD, 4208
Phone number: (07) 55493816
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 5:02 pm

thats him. he has done a lot of seriously good work as a panel beater.

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks Pastelgrey - I checked the white pages but should have thought of a google search.

Cheers

George

skat66
E Class

Post by skat66 » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 11:41 pm

George,

I may be able to help you with a bonnet.

I am looking at a parts/restorer car late next week and I know it comes with a second bonnet that I will check if it is any good it you are interested,

Garry
Garry
1965 230SL Light Blue
1974 VW Kombi Camper
2005 A200

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 7:48 am

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the offer but I bit the bullet a month or so ago and bought a new one from the Classic Centre in the US. OUCH financially but my logic was that new bonnets are oversize and therefore can be cut to fit, whereas a used bonnet has already gone through this and may be too small - easier to cut than build.

So, thanks again for the offer - I am looking for a Km speedo though if your parts car has one.

Cheers

George

skat66
E Class

Post by skat66 » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 10:37 pm

I know what the ouch would be like as there was a receipt for a new bonnet with the car, I think it was $8800 or there abouts plus GST!!! and that was some years ago.

I am planning on putting the thing back together over the next couple of years if I am happy that it is all there so wont have a speedo. it was only the old bonnet that appeared to be spare to the car.

Cheers
Garry
Garry
1965 230SL Light Blue
1974 VW Kombi Camper
2005 A200

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 7:40 pm

Gary,

No problems. Fingers crossed for you that it will be a worthwhile project -getting a bit squeezy in the garage with two pagodas and an Etype????? Just between you and me, an E type is neck and neck with a pagoda in the desirability stakes!

Ron,

I went to visit Pieter Verburg this week - he has moved on. There was a panel beater in his unit who seemed to remember that there had been a panel beater in there before them ( a couple of years ago) but they thought he had left the industry.

George

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 6:35 pm

I have Georges engine here. It has been rebored in the past to 83 mm and the parts are dated 1988 . But the engine has been running far too rich so the pistons were washed down . the rings then wore out and the crosshatching has dissapeared . The pistons are very clean which is not a good sign.
This is an interesting pic. You can where some one has placed the ring gaps in line . The flame pattern down the side of the piston is very clear . Once the rings started wearing,the situation got worse and the engine was smoking badly.
IMG_0041.JPG
The Crank is standard but has some serious scratching. I'm getting it crack tested tomorrow to make sure it's reusable. 90% of these cranks are cracked but I have never seen one personally that broke in service.
This typical of the inside of the engine. Far too clean to be healthy ,and a sure sign there has been excess fuel.
IMG_0042.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Green
OZBENZ Admin

Post by John Green » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 6:59 pm

Mercmad wrote:I have Georges engine here. It has been rebored in the past to 83 mm and the parts are dated 1988 . But the engine has been running far too rich so the pistons were washed down . the rings then wore out and the crosshatching has dissapeared . The pistons are very clean which is not a good sign.
This is an interesting pic. You can where some one has placed the ring gaps in line . The flame pattern down the side of the piston is very clear .
Did it have a lot of blow by?? I ask as i have a 230S at work with a reco engine done 2000mls. Runs great but has so much blow by that it pumps the oil out the dip stick tube.... :Doh: :Doh:

John Green
OZBENZ Admin

Post by John Green » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 7:55 pm

Sorry should have added that my theory is that they let the appretice do it and the rings are lined up like this... Are hoping that I can strip it and rEARRANGE THE RINGS AND ALL WILL BE WELL. (bugger don't you hate it when you do that)

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Tue 20 Sep, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi,yes this engine had a huge amount of blowby .The bore appears OK and the piston ring grooves are still within spec. They have a close fitting clearance when first bored ,82.98 mm pistons in a 83.00 mm Bore. I have seen plenty of them with bores so worn you can see the rings down the side but the amount of smoke was negligible.

John Green
OZBENZ Admin

Post by John Green » Tue 20 Sep, 2011 5:44 pm

Mercmad wrote:Hi,yes this engine had a huge amount of blowby .The bore appears OK and the piston ring grooves are still within spec. They have a close fitting clearance when first bored ,82.98 mm pistons in a 83.00 mm Bore. I have seen plenty of them with bores so worn you can see the rings down the side but the amount of smoke was negligible.
Same symptoms as the one we have hear, now all i need to time to pull it down....

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Wed 21 Sep, 2011 7:54 pm

Gentlemen (and I use the term loosely)

Goodness me - is there no decency or modestly in this world anymore with this infernal internet; a girls engine goes into hospital with "female problems" and suddenly her most private parts are exposed for the whole world in living colour. How would one of you chaps like it if you went into hospital for a check of your piles and all of a sudden your doctor sends photos of your nether region to his mates around the world.

I`m so embarrassed - I`ll not be able to show myself in public again.

anon

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Thu 22 Sep, 2011 8:04 am

Well, it sounds like she has been 'ruined' by being exposed in this way. You know you will never quite be sure when people are looking at her whether they are admiring her outer beauty, or ogling her with visions of her nether regions in their minds eye...
So I will take that harlet off your hands and save you the worry!

Cheers,
Drew
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Sat 24 Sep, 2011 9:23 am

Got the crank back on Thursday. No Cracks and a clean bill of health.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Mon 26 Sep, 2011 7:47 pm

ye ha says the owner, who now doesn`t have to refinance his house to pay for a new crank; although there is still the IP to go yet....................perhaps I shouldn`t throw the application docs away just yet!

skat66
E Class

Post by skat66 » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi George,

How are the body repairs going.

I did not buy the car in WA in the end. The guy had pulled it to pieces over 15 years ago then just left everything everywhere and did not know where half the stuff was. It was all badly rusted as well.

Garry
Garry
1965 230SL Light Blue
1974 VW Kombi Camper
2005 A200

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 9:21 am

Well, the tale isn`t quite as sad as it used to be.

By way of an update. The body is now complete; by that I mean all the new panels have been attached; chassis leg, guard, door grill surround and the bonnet has been sized. All paint (and bog) removed and the body is now in primer. The new subframe is installed so she is back to being a rolling body. The body is in much better condition than I had expected. There is evidence of accident damage on the rear drivers mud guard and some minor rust repair in a couple of spots but otherwise everything is great. What was odd however was the amount of bog that was on the car over perfectly good metal on straight panels - Brendon from Moorooka Smash repairs who is doing the body couldn`t believe how much he had to grind off. MSR will now go ahead and finish the car - make good the previously repaired areas - final fitting of all panels - doors, boot and bonnet and of course paint.

The other big event is the engine. During a ceremonial visit to Rons workshop by my wife and I, the engine was fired up and is now back to life - sounds great although that may have been helped by the muffler Ron was using on his engine test stand! As far as I`m, concerned, the US has Joe Alexander, Canada has Dr Dan and we have Professor Ron!!

Sadly I won`t have the body back for Christmas however I will collect the engine later this week so I can put some bits and pieces back onto that during the break.

Cheers and Merry Christmas (from a not so sad new member)

George

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 7:15 pm

http://youtu.be/0JZODaqlBg4

Running it up to get some temperature into it so I could check timing and so on .

buck

Re: W113 project?

Post by buck » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi All,

I am also a new member and new also to the world of Forums. I have been reading with interest this thread and concur with many points raised, especially the desire to restore my own w113. I have been reviewing sales ads both domestically in Australia and internationally and have realised the limited opportunities there are to purchase my own Pagoda, whether it be a 230,250 or 280 in Australia. This is where I would appreciate your advice. I am looking to purchase a project that I can work on for some time, so therefore it does not have to be driveable, just complete as possible, with not too much rust. Hopefully costs can be minimised, though aware there is no such thing as a cheap MB

Maybe someone has such an example that they have lost interest in or knows someone who may assist.

Look forward to learning and enjoyng the Forum

Cheers

Buck

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Fri 03 Feb, 2012 11:20 am

It depends on how much money you want to spend. If you have a little now with a definite possibility of earning more in future, a project is a good way to start. Budget on $100,000 + if you need to pay someone to rebuild it.
If you can afford a good one,buy the very best you can afford and if the car is in the USA or the UK, buy a ticket and fly there with a list of all cars for sale and look at them personally. Recently my neighbor restored one for a customer,the car cost $80,000 to buy. The new owner had it repainted in Sydney at a cost of $20,000 then had it delivered to next door. I was the first to notice it had wrinkly inner guards. A measure with a tape revealed it was 1" shorter on one side.
Bt the time the car was completed the bill was in excess of $250,000,which included building a new shell from the remains of the $100,000 car and because everything mechanical was worn out too.
Pagodas rust like all 40 year old cars,it's a fact of life.
My own preference would be a 230 or 250 manual ,an older restoration rather than newly restored and with a record of expenses from recent times.
Even then you can get caught out with the running gear being incorrect or otherwise .I saw a 230 SL on the pagoda forums with a 220SE finny engine in it.
The owner had the car for years before it was pointed out to him .
In Australia we can't drive fast or to the pagodas full capacity so a 230 or 250 makes more sense than paying over the odds for a 280SL.
There are some good dealers in the UK who can source a very example and companies like PORFOR in California sell reasonable project cars with prices according to the level of parts still on them etc.

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Wed 21 Mar, 2012 9:08 pm

I popped into MSR Kustoms yesterday to suss out painting a coupe and saw George's baby in there - looking very flash! Awesome colour - good choice George. You must be getting excited.
Cheers, Drew
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:07 pm

Drew,

Excited isn`t the word. I spoke to Brendon again today and the tilt tray is booked for this Saturday.

We didn`t change the colour from before the accident - It was Midnight Blue, although that wasn`t the original Colour - (Papyrus white) however the dark blue set of by the chrome and white walls makes her spectacular.

What attracted me to MSR was a car park full of chopped and channelled American Iron - my logic was that if they were skilled enough to do that sort of proper metal work - replacing bent parts with new panels wouldn`t be a challenge. I was a bit worried about our poor sweet Merc being in an environment where tats and body piercing are the go but I had a good talk to her the other day and I don`t think counselling will be required. Underneath they are decent guys. She also claims that once you get past the huge bulbous mudguards and bumper bars, the old US cars being chopped arent bad to have a yarn with. I`m a bit worried actually as she seems to have taken a shine to an MGB that was in there for a while - I`ll have to have a chat to her about gutless poms................

Anyway, I have to get my toothbrush out to polish the garage floor in readiness for the homecoming.............

Cheers

George

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Fri 23 Mar, 2012 8:23 am

The hint of pearl is definitely not standard - but it is stunning!
The chopped US cars are what attracted me there too - as they are my main interest. My '56 Ford is waiting behind a queue of coupes at the moment. Hmm, chopped cars - MB coupe - choppped MB coupe! What a brilliant idea you had George! Thanks for that.

I have found many times that you can't judge by people's appearances - I met one of the foudners of Cruzin magazine, and he had flames tattoo'd up his neck and all down his arms - but he was one of the gentlest nicest guys I have met!

I hope your assembly goes better than my experiences on Frankenbenz - I chipped, scratched and dented him a lot after I got him back from painting. I will be terrified with my new coupe paint job when it comes home. At least you have no roof in the way of putting in seats etc.
Cheers,
Drew
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Tue 29 May, 2012 10:04 pm

A heart has started to beat...

Today she fired up for the first time - first crank - instant oil pressure; no leaks; no odd rattles - smooth as honey. Not really a surprise as Ron gave the engine a work out on his test stand before we picked it up, but exciting none the less because it is back in the car and hooked up and started with her own key.
This weekend I hope to have her mobile - if I can convince my wife to exercise her leg pumping the clutch and brake pedals while I bleed the system. Not her favourite past time.

From here its back to the panel beater for a final blocking and polish then back home for interior and body chrome.

I`ve been a little slow lately however Ive been spurred on by talk of the trip to Canberra for the 50th next year (thanks Geoff) plus we will be moving into a new house in a couple of months and I don`t want her in parts for that.

cheers

George
(A far happier new member than the one who started this post)

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 7:14 am

Well, it looks like this sad tale has come to an end.

We are now back in business. We did our first coffee run on Sunday; the first in just under 2 years (in the Pagoda that is).

What a great feeling and what a great ride. She feels as tight as a drum and the motor is very smooth (thanks Ron). There are still some things to do: the electrics are not sorted - the alternator isn`t charging even though I had it reconditioned; I need to replace the two header pipes, both of which were dinged in the smash - booked in for Friday and I have to replace the soft top, which was a component of the "project creep".

So, all in all :dance: :laughing6: :wav:

George

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 1:38 pm

Good one George.
Let me know when I can come around and see it in the flesh - just seeing the empty shell was enough to stir up some smiles, I can only imagine what the running car could do!
Cheers, Drew
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

skat66
E Class

Post by skat66 » Thu 11 Oct, 2012 8:18 pm

Good news George, Nice that it is back on the road.

Plenty of time to get it sorted out for the 50th Anniversary run to Canberra in March next year.

Garry
Garry
1965 230SL Light Blue
1974 VW Kombi Camper
2005 A200

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin

Post by pastelgrey300D » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:27 am

Great to hear you have her back George, was Sundays cup the best tasting cup of coffee you've had in 2 years? :laughing6:

Shame about the alternator, does it have an internal or external regulator? (if it's the internal type one of the carbon brushes could be stuck).

Just a tale of caution from another local Pagoda owner, he had a new soft top fitted - the soft top was from the US and when he got it the canvas was very stiff - he had the frame removed and had it stripped back and repainted but somewhere in there one of the corners of the frame was given a sharp edge - first time he folded the hood the combination of the new, stiff canvas and the small sharp edge made a hole in the hood :banghead: But in the end he had a cloth club badge sewn over the hole (and another one on the other side) which looks really good!
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

georgemcd
B Class

Post by georgemcd » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi David,

The alternator is fixed at no cost - it was a problem with the recon - all good now, which leaves the new exhaust headers for the end of this week and a wheel alignment. Ron mentioned a company over his way that knows about aligning our suspension set ups so I shall take it there (after I get the name from him again as I have forgotten it)

I have had a "bugga" moment though - the speedo stopped working and I found that the inner cable has broken at the gear box - just out of reach of a very fine pair of needle nose pliers so you guessed it - the dash board has to come apart (again!)

Once I get the wheel alignment done I can be a little more adventurous on longer runs -at the moment its just local running - the initial wheel alignment was done with a stick - getting each wheel parallel to the body in the straight ahead position so its pretty agricultural at the moment.

BTW, because of the crash I added headrests (not hard) and full sheepskins - luxury - and soooo comfortable

More to follow

George

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Sat 19 Jan, 2013 8:14 pm

Nearly fiinshed
230SL 001.jpg

Return to “W113 and W121 Roadsters & W198 300SL”