refurbishing my parcel shelf - guidance appreciated...

1965 - 1972: 250S, 250SE, 300SEb, 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 280SE 3.5, 280SEL 3.5, 280SE 4.5, 280SEL 4.5, 300SEL, 300SEL 6.3, 300SEL 3.5, 300SEL 4.5
MajorBenz
S Class
Model you own: w108
Region: Victoria

refurbishing my parcel shelf - guidance appreciated...

Post by MajorBenz »

Hi guys,
When I bought my 280s the parcel shelf was covered in some grey fury stuff - the kind which might upholster a muppet. I decided to rip it out and this is what I'm left with (see pics)

Not very pretty. So I've been googling around looking at old benzes and it seems that some carpet that matches the stuff on the floor, is the way to go. Perhaps with some masonite backing. And then the bracket thing that holds it down should be wrapped in some vinyl - also matching interior.

Now to the questions:

1.) the metal bracket thing had a filthy old strip of thick felt along on side which I removed and chucked. Was this felt important and should I replace?

2.) Does anybody nears melbs have some left over maroon/burgundy carpet they want to get rid of?

3.) Looks like the bracket also directs air up onto the rear screen. Is this part of the demister system? I haven't actually got my heater system working yet. Another thing on the list.....

Any answers / general advice on doing this job apreciated.
Cheers in advance,
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver 1969 280S - "Grace"
NZJasonT
C Class

Re: refurbishing my parcel shelf - guidance appreciated...

Post by NZJasonT »

Hi Dan - I think it’s more general ventilation than a demister function as there are no fans back there and no air feeds from the front

The felt you mention is likely to stop the metal rubbing and making unwanted cabin noise when it moves - i’d Replace it with something similar if you can that gives you a nice tight fit.

Can’t help you with the carpet sorry I had a spare here in NZ but I sold it just this week

Best of luck

Jason
1971 W108 280se 2.8
1973 W107 450 SLC
MajorBenz
S Class
Region: Victoria

Post by MajorBenz »

NZJasonT wrote: Sat 14 Apr, 2018 9:38 pm Hi Dan - I think it’s more general ventilation than a demister function as there are no fans back there and no air feeds from the front

The felt you mention is likely to stop the metal rubbing and making unwanted cabin noise when it moves - i’d Replace it with something similar if you can that gives you a nice tight fit.

Can’t help you with the carpet sorry I had a spare here in NZ but I sold it just this week

Best of luck

Jason
Hi Jason,
Thanks for your reply. I think I've been watching some of your w108 parts on fleabay. Bought a metre of maroon carpet from an auto shop. Watched some youtube vids on getting a invisible seam with carpet joins. It's looking good. Will post some pics in future.
Cheers,
Dan
Silver 1969 280S - "Grace"
NZJasonT
C Class

Post by NZJasonT »

Yes that’s probably me Dan, bought a 71 W108 and pulled it apart - kept what I needed and now offering the other bits. Let me know if you need anything else. I hid the speakers in mine with some black material stretched over a thin piece of MDF cut to size so it fits real tight. Works a treat. Are you in Oz by the way?
1971 W108 280se 2.8
1973 W107 450 SLC