Power steering

1965 - 1972: 250S, 250SE, 300SEb, 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 280SE 3.5, 280SEL 3.5, 280SE 4.5, 280SEL 4.5, 300SEL, 300SEL 6.3, 300SEL 3.5, 300SEL 4.5
Stephen
C Class

Power steering

Post by Stephen »

Hi all,
I have to admit right up front, I've been a bit neglectful of my '66 250S lately. There! I've said it!
I've even, for the first time in 17 years, put the car on club plates.
I needed a daily driver to commute and I thought it was a bit unfair and cruel to use the old car for such drudgery. It's 51 years old, after all.
My concern at the moment is that now I have a significant leak (leaves puddles) under the steering box. I have found a bit of information on how to do this on the www, and have some reference material myself. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of detail available. I suppose that it keeps people who professionally rebuild these things in business.
My questions are, on a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is it to rebuild the steering box and power steering pump?
Any tips, advice, links or diagrams?
Thanks in advance,
Stephen
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Re: Power steering

Post by Mercmad »

On a 1-10 scale it's a 4 . Go to the W113 site where there is the only info on forums about rebuilding the box. Overhaul seal kits can be bought from overseas vendors really cheaply as the same steering box was used on all W111,112,109, 108 &113 's .You will need a good torque wrench .a good sturdy vice and someone who can make you the lock bolt to lock the steering box so the various torques can be set and to keep the steering locked in place on installation .It's heavy physical work pulling them out and reinstalling too. I bench test all mine to check for leaks and other faults ( I found one with a bent shaft once, evidence of a long ago accident) but if you follow the 113 sites advice you may not need too.
Stephen
C Class

Post by Stephen »

Hi MM,
Thanks for the lead. I have found the page you were referring to and will try to digest it before making my next move. I have seen the (very reasonably priced) rebuild kits available.
There is also an extensive description here:
http://www.davidpetryk.net/Mercedes/Steering.htm
I don't know who David Petryk is, or what his webpage is all about, but this article is very thorough.
Thanks again,
and best wishes,
Stephen.
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad »

Totally wrong steering box which although it is a recirculating box, it is in fact a W116-W126 type and nothing in the article will help you . :book: