1974 280CE Love at first site

Newcomers Please stop here first.
A wealth of information here to help you find your way through OZBENZ Forums
Best mate Benzie
Model you own: w114

1974 280CE Love at first site

Post by Best mate Benzie » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 11:41 pm

Hi Benz fans,
A chance meeting has bought us together. I was picking up one of my guys from a workshop near his place as his work ute had broken down. I noticed this old coupe as I pulled up to the mechanics and remarked to my worker that old Merc was very pretty and wouldn't it be nice to have. He replied to me I know the guy that owns it and it is for sale.
I looked it over, spoke with the owner and on a whim took it for a drive. Pretty but ordinary to drive compared to the vehicles I currently drive but still had a presence that was unmistakable class. Anyway left it at that went to work for the day but could think of nothing else.

Dropped my worker back to the mechanics to pick up the repaired ute and saw her again. There was definitely an attraction I had to this car. I had no intention that morning with no intention of buying another car but after another look over I agreed to pay the man what he was asking (something I have never done before) and left a deposit.

Went back next afternoon and drove it home. Now the real journey begins. Fix up the rust and add a few modern conveniences to the interior and enjoy owning and driving a beautiful classic. My daughters love it, my wife is slowly warming.

Also I was wondering if anyone of you learned folk knows how many 280CEs were sold in Oz. Surely not that many.

I have a couple of photos of her arriving at her new home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love at first site :love10:

TheMadRacoon
C 111
Model you own: w107

Re: 1974 280CE Love at first site

Post by TheMadRacoon » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 1:29 am

She certainly is beautiful.

She looks to have been lowered all round. Will you keep it that way or return to original ride height?
Emad,
TheMadRacoon
1975 350SLC Astral Silver (725) / Blue (2012, 284,900 km - present.... a real Benz, getting better and better)
1988 190E Deep Blue (900) / Cream (2006, 190,000 km - 2007, ~ 215,000 km .... FSH and still spent big $$$)
1974 280E Reed Green (860) / Bone (1993, 316,700 km - 2004, ~490,000 km and still A1)

New123
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by New123 » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:49 am

Congratulations on your coupe! I know very well the allure of these coupes. About 5 years ago, I saw one locally advertised on Gumtree and, after going and having a look, made an offer and whammo! It's still my favourite driver.

I had the same questions about "How many of these were made/sent to Australia?" etc, simply because you just don't see many, anywhere. So, for the past 5 years or so, I have been keeping sort of an informal "registry" of all the W114 Coupes I see, whether in person or advertised for sale or what. I try to record the model, year (sometimes a best guess, based on other clues) exterior and interior colours, trans type, rego and other options etc (e.g. A/C, column vs. floor shift, sunroof - yes or no, wheel covers or alloys, etc). When at all possible, I also try to get the VIN and/or engine no. for a definite unique identifier.
I still occaisionally add one here or there after seeing one listed on ebay or such. As of right now I have 179 different coupes listed as being seen in Australia (1 or 2 of these have since been dismantled and destroyed). Of those 179, 63 of them are listed as 280CE. I know there are more than that in Australia, but looking at all the info I have gives me an idea what colours are more common, which models seem to be more common/scarce, options available, etc.

I realise this is all very unofficial and for my own amusement but I find it interesting. I might possibly already have yours on my list, but if you want to PM me some details (i.e. year, trans type, options, floor vs. column shift, VIN, etc) I could add it or verify that it's already listed. That would be great!

Again, welcome to the world of W114 Coupes!
Toby
Toby

Best mate Benzie

Post by Best mate Benzie » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 9:31 pm

TheMadRacoon wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 1:29 am
She certainly is beautiful.

She looks to have been lowered all round. Will you keep it that way or return to original ride height?
TheMadRacoon wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 1:29 am

Hi MadRacoon,
Yes she has been lowered, I think that is one of the reasons why I noticed her. I appreciate standard and respect concourse but I like to modify my cars so I look at this as work that has already been done for me. I like it Lowered as it looks longer and wider and I would suggest it may corner a little better although I have no reference as this as I have never driven an other old merc. I look at the air bagged slammed cars and think that might be too far so I am happy with the mild drop on this car.

I am now looking at some rust repair to improve the body and source some new carpets to spruce up the interior. :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:

Best mate Benzie

Post by Best mate Benzie » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:16 pm

New123 wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:49 am
Congratulations on your coupe! I know very well the allure of these coupes. About 5 years ago, I saw one locally advertised on Gumtree and, after going and having a look, made an offer and whammo! It's still my favourite driver.

I had the same questions about "How many of these were made/sent to Australia?" etc, simply because you just don't see many, anywhere. So, for the past 5 years or so, I have been keeping sort of an informal "registry" of all the W114 Coupes I see, whether in person or advertised for sale or what. I try to record the model, year (sometimes a best guess, based on other clues) exterior and interior colours, trans type, rego and other options etc (e.g. A/C, column vs. floor shift, sunroof - yes or no, wheel covers or alloys, etc). When at all possible, I also try to get the VIN and/or engine no. for a definite unique identifier.
I still occaisionally add one here or there after seeing one listed on ebay or such. As of right now I have 179 different coupes listed as being seen in Australia (1 or 2 of these have since been dismantled and destroyed). Of those 179, 63 of them are listed as 280CE. I know there are more than that in Australia, but looking at all the info I have gives me an idea what colours are more common, which models seem to be more common/scarce, options available, etc.

I realise this is all very unofficial and for my own amusement but I find it interesting. I might possibly already have yours on my list, but if you want to PM me some details (i.e. year, trans type, options, floor vs. column shift, VIN, etc) I could add it or verify that it's already listed. That would be great!

Again, welcome to the world of W114 Coupes!
Toby
Hi Toby,
I trust you received the info I sent about my new coupe for your register. I was wondering if this one was on your list already or is it another one out of the woodwork. I would like to know.
Regards
Chris

Return to “Welcome to OZBENZ!”