another newby from south aus!!!

Newcomers Please stop here first.
A wealth of information here to help you find your way through OZBENZ Forums
jasonb
Model you own: w124

another newby from south aus!!!

Post by jasonb » Wed 03 May, 2017 8:10 pm

Hello everyone,

new to the forum, new to mercs (well, owning one at least) always loved the 190e while growing up, and wanted an evolution from about 10 years old (29 now). but seeing as the genuine article is rare and expensive, I've bought myself something close at least. recently got myself an 89 300e, straight body, sweet suspension, new tires, new battery, interior is a solid 7.5 out of 10, with the cream leather seats. 99% of the electrics are still functioning ( drivers rear window switch is cactus).
but has a blown head gasket,,,,, and bad clear coat.

all that with rego for $1000, i'm happy with the price, i'm happy with the car, but I am unhappy with the head bolts, specifically the 12 point socket that I do not own.
So this is an introduction (bows) How do you do? And also, a call for help to a local enthusiast who may own such a socket, or know where to get one at a reasonable cost?
also whilst i am not driving my 300e, i would still love to get to a car meet, or cars and coffee to meet up with other owners and share my passion with them also.

many thanks, and best regards,
Jason.

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Re: another newby from south aus!!!

Post by Bartman4800 » Thu 04 May, 2017 4:58 pm

Welcome Jason!

The socket you require can be purchased at any of the better tool stores.
If you own a 1/2" socket set, it will just fit onto your extension.
Use a breaker bar, not a ratchet to undo them. You might need a pipe extension.

Alternatively, any of the friendly 124/201 owners might lend you one :happy3:

Here is an online instruction:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tec ... ement.html

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/que ... edes-300ce

Regards, Bart

Regards, Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Thu 04 May, 2017 8:46 pm

I don't have one that i would trust for undoing a head bolt. I know adelaide tools at mile end have a good range of stuff. I was having trouble getting earlier hex heads out and went to them to find a stronger one. It is one of those jobs I reckon you want the best, freshest condition tool you can find, because if you strip the head out it is one hell of a job to get it all apart.

The MB club used to do informal runs once a month. You could PM Pastelgrey300 - alias David Knight who is very involved with the club, or look up their website. Mike Poll Jonker organised a couple of euro cruises last year but he has been quiet for a while. At times i am at the Blackwood coffee and cars but rare to see other Benzes.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Fri 05 May, 2017 2:21 am

Welcome to the site mate, I'm from Adelaide too. A 300e very nice! Once you get that headgasket sorted she'll be powering on for years to come. I've got a same year as yours but 230E
Also keen to meet up with Adelaide enthusiasts, we should tee something off soon!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
My Silver 1989 230E W124
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18619

jasonb

Post by jasonb » Fri 05 May, 2017 12:37 pm

Cheers for the welcome guys, much appreciated.
I will head to the local tool shop tomorrow morning and see what's available there.
Thank you for the links Bart, they will be very helpful when reinstalling the head,
I will be hopefully getting this beast back on the road within the month (providing that nothing else goes wrong with it.
While it's all apart, I'll be replacing the dizzy cap and rotor button too. They look a bit tired, so to save doing the job later, I
Might as well.

Never elaborated on the plans for this either, but this will be basically a factory refurb. With the most exotic upgrade being a set of wheels and lowering the suspension a little bit. Love the colour, being silver. Will get some photos up as soon as I can.

Regards, Jason

jasonb

Post by jasonb » Fri 05 May, 2017 7:46 pm

CraigB wrote:I don't have one that i would trust for undoing a head bolt. I know adelaide tools at mile end have a good range of stuff. I was having trouble getting earlier hex heads out and went to them to find a stronger one. It is one of those jobs I reckon you want the best, freshest condition tool you can find, because if you strip the head out it is one hell of a job to get it all apart.

The MB club used to do informal runs once a month. You could PM Pastelgrey300 - alias David Knight who is very involved with the club, or look up their website. Mike Poll Jonker organised a couple of euro cruises last year but he has been quiet for a while. At times i am at the Blackwood coffee and cars but rare to see other Benzes.

thanks Craig, I'll see what tomorrow brings. possibly get a brand newy. luckily i had all of the other tools to get the rest of the gear off, so it is just a matter of the head bolts and then all is ready for inspection and repair.
in regards to cars and coffee, is there a website that runs with dates? or is it just social media? because i'm having trouble finding any relevant info on it. only find snippits and photos of previous runs.

Jason

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Fri 05 May, 2017 11:34 pm

Blackwood CnC has a facebook page but i think they are popping up all over the place - there was one at Unley too.

Also from Adelaide tools i bought a very long breaker bar for the job and surprising how many times i have used it since - must be at least 1m and wasn't a lot of money, maybe $30
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

jasonb

Post by jasonb » Fri 12 May, 2017 1:33 pm

busy busy busy, so much going on that i forgot to post about it. hahaha,
work life has been the most time consuming for me during this past couple of weeks, and as always, time away means time not spent on the car. But the head is off, and the culprit was cylinder 2. water gallery was leaking all over the shop. so with that found, i cleaned the block and head, and checked for trueness, both of which came up beautifully.
I discovered leaking valve stem seals though, so this will be a slight halt on getting it back on the road while i wait for them to turn up.
Also have decided to do the brakes while its off the road as well, rotors are getting a bit rough.

so, in short, lots going on. combining this all with an engine bay detail, cleaning and repainting the block, inlet manifold, air filter box and rocker cover while adding new heat shielding around the bay, it should clean up quite nicely when finished. can't wait to see what it looks like.

and if anyone ever wants to do a run, lets just get it happening, probably go out on a limb and say that most people like coffee, and there are plenty of cafes around. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :dance: :dance: :dance:

hope to see you soon.

Jasonb

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 2:28 am

jasonb wrote:busy busy busy, so much going on that i forgot to post about it. hahaha,
work life has been the most time consuming for me during this past couple of weeks, and as always, time away means time not spent on the car. But the head is off, and the culprit was cylinder 2. water gallery was leaking all over the shop. so with that found, i cleaned the block and head, and checked for trueness, both of which came up beautifully.
I discovered leaking valve stem seals though, so this will be a slight halt on getting it back on the road while i wait for them to turn up.
Also have decided to do the brakes while its off the road as well, rotors are getting a bit rough.

so, in short, lots going on. combining this all with an engine bay detail, cleaning and repainting the block, inlet manifold, air filter box and rocker cover while adding new heat shielding around the bay, it should clean up quite nicely when finished. can't wait to see what it looks like.

and if anyone ever wants to do a run, lets just get it happening, probably go out on a limb and say that most people like coffee, and there are plenty of cafes around. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :dance: :dance: :dance:

hope to see you soon.

Jasonb
Howdy man, great to see your motivated to really make your Merc better than before rather than quick fixes! Kudos!

Also recently I made a little Facebook Page for Adelaide classic Merc fans! Feel free to join if you'd like man, 9 of us so far!
Search for: Mercedes Benz classics Enthusiasts South Australia

Beauty! Keep in touch there with ya!
My Silver 1989 230E W124
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18619

Return to “Welcome to OZBENZ!”