Newcomers Please stop here first.
A wealth of information here to help you find your way through OZBENZ Forums
Samarai
C Class
Model you own: w124

Howdy, New Member from Adelaide, SA

Post by Samarai » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 9:52 pm

Hey there guys and gals.
I just joined and thought I'd drop a line and introduce you all to my new pride and joy.

Here is my 1989 230E as she stands.

This is how she was as I bought her.

After mods

Since driving on my P's I had an Opel Calibra but 2 years later it's heart gave way and I was in need of a new car.
I found this beauty hidden at a farm not too far from me and got it at a bargain of a price for its condition and still under 200k at 196XXX currently.
The more time I spend with this car the more I thank the previous owners for looking after it so well.
I also continue to marvel at Mercedes build quality, everything in the car is immaculate for its age and almost everything works which I'm stoked about.
Everyone that see's it marvels at how clean it is and indeed they are right on, I too am dumbfounded at this find.

I will definitely be embracing the chrome on this car and indeed preserving it's natural classiness. It's so different to most cars on the road for the sheer fact of being a Benz and bold haha.

So far I have just spiced it up to my tastes. Subtle but freshning mods I hope.

- Clear indicators front and back
- XX numberplates (Once off payment and I think the white plates stuck out too much on a darker coloured car)
- LED's in the numberplate lamps, interior dome lights, glove box, boot and parkers. (Since doing these mods on the calibra I just had to do them to the merc too.. much brighter and fresher now)
- Headunit and Subwoofer (Taken out of the calibra and Installed into the Merc. I really enjoy my music since I do long drives quite frequently)
- I resprayed the rims and air filter cover.
- Tinted the windows
- Chrome door locking pins
- Chrome indicator bulbs that flash amber

It has its first major service coming up in a week so hoping things internally are well.
So far i've noticed the oil pressure guage sender is faulty and of this last week i've noticed when under half tank fuel is left the needle twitches up and down like crazy but intermitantly though.

2 minor problems I hope to get out the way very soon.

But there we go. My little introduction of how I came about my Benz and my month so far with it.
The smooth ride and build quality is amazing.
Looking forward to chatting to you all and learning about the legacy of these cars from this forum.

Cheers for reading.
My Silver 1989 230E W124
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18619

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w204

Re: Howdy, New Member from Adelaide, SA

Post by Ivanerrol » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 10:03 pm

Nice looking W124 you have there.

Your instrument problems are probably the cluster gauge.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200, C180, C180
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 10:10 pm

Cheers mate.

The cluster guage itself being the fault is a good thought but I know the oil pressure sender is the fault for the abnormal oil pressure readings.
When plugged into the thread in the engine bay the needle would sit at 0 but when unplugged it would rise instantly to 3 and stay there.
Either tampering from the last owner or wiring is done backwards possibly? im not sure.
My Silver 1989 230E W124

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Post by pastelgrey300D » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 11:49 am

Welcome to ozbenz and congrats on the new car! It's amazing how just a few mods like the clear indicators, tinted windows and new plates can make these cars look at least 5-10 years younger.

The oil pressure gauge seems to be working normally - when you disconnect the sender the needle should shoot up to 3. Same with the fuel gauge sender. The fuel gauge 'flickering' could be due to a dirty or worn fuel tank sender.

There is some info on tank senders here - http://www.ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... 8&p=120351

if they are the tube type sender they are pretty easy to dismantle and clean. You'll find a lot of components on these cars can be dismantled and repaired whereas on other makes of the same era you would have to buy a complete replacement assembly and swap it out.
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 2:23 pm

pastelgrey300D wrote:Welcome to ozbenz and congrats on the new car! It's amazing how just a few mods like the clear indicators, tinted windows and new plates can make these cars look at least 5-10 years younger.

The oil pressure gauge seems to be working normally - when you disconnect the sender the needle should shoot up to 3. Same with the fuel gauge sender. The fuel gauge 'flickering' could be due to a dirty or worn fuel tank sender.

There is some info on tank senders here - http://www.ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... 8&p=120351

if they are the tube type sender they are pretty easy to dismantle and clean. You'll find a lot of components on these cars can be dismantled and repaired whereas on other makes of the same era you would have to buy a complete replacement assembly and swap it out.
Thanks for the welcome mate.
Too true you are matey. The smallest mods make the biggest difference.

when I plug the sender back it dies to 0 but climbs to 3 instantly when unplugged then again to 0 when plugged again. Going to have to get it checked out. Im sure no major problems though. The oil levels are good.

Great thinking on the fuel sender.

Cheers for the help mate. glad to hear on these mercs it shouldn't be too hard for ongoing maintenance.
My Silver 1989 230E W124

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 5:53 pm

UPDATE

Here's a few pics I forgot to add to my introduction post of the work I have done freshening up the merc.

First was LED converting the lighting around the merc.

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

I then decided I wanted a straight white colour.
AFTER

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRONT DOME LIGHT
BEFORE

AFTER

-----------------------------

REAR DOME LIGHT
BEFORE

AFTER

--------------------------------------------------------

AFTER Ash tray and Glove Box (Sadly no before shots but we all know that dull yellow stock bulb colour yuck!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continued..
My Silver 1989 230E W124

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 5:54 pm

Next I sanded the Carby/Air Filter cover since paint was chipping.. ready to get chrome painted up :P

I have since painted it a silver to match the colour of the car.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The condition of the stock rims annoyed me so I thought until I buy a bigger set of rims.. let me touch up the stock ones.
I dont have a good before photo but this gives an idea.

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

Im pretty chuffed with the result for a temporary fix :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While awaiting the owner of the smash repairer to bring out the clear indicators, his apprentice helped me fit these 17" BMW rims.
They didn't fit but I wasn't fussed I just wanted to see what a bigger set of rims would look like on the merc.
It's safe to say this car definitely will pull off the bigger rims look.

Before

During

A quick photo shop I did of the rims itself on the stock placement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Continued....
My Silver 1989 230E W124

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 5:55 pm

Next was the installation of the Clear indicators and XX plates.

Front Before - Stock orange indicators and stock plates

Front After - XX plates and clear indicators

Stock rear Before

Rear After

Im very happy with the results. Such little effort gave such subtle aesthetic gains. I reckon it took a few years off the car hahaa
I always like going with the less is more approach and love staying true to a car's natural beauty but just making it my own a little.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next was tinting the windows and LED's in the parkers.
I ordered white but they have a subtle hint of blue. (My phone makes them over saturated in colour)

With the tinted windows, now I don't feel so naked while driving hahaa the privacy is great and it really does keep the temperature inside down. Was a must since I have leather chairs as in the summer its a killer. I cant stop looking at the car now, I LOVE THE TINT! Really transformed the car I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just the parkers.

Parkers + Low beam. (The Parkers are still visible and freshens up the housing)

I find the LED parkers really freshened up the car. Even with the low beams on, they really freshen the dull tinge. I will be looking into getting some whiter bulbs soon to match the LED's more.

Continued.....
My Silver 1989 230E W124

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 5:56 pm

My most latest mods.

-Chrome Indicator bulbs that flash amber
-Chrome door locking pins with Benz logo ontop.

Subtle mods, but I love the freshness.

-------------------------------

--------------------------------

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the bombardment of photos but I take pride in my effort and always like to look back at the journey.
Cheers
My Silver 1989 230E W124

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 5:36 pm

An update.

Got a full oils and check over service and by gosh did the Differential Oil change make a huge difference!

Also fixed its faulty oil pressure switch and got a new one put in. Yay correct readings of oil pressure now :P

No faults found other than a tiny microscopic leak emanating from the black plastic cover that the initial coolant pipe from the coolant bottle plugs onto.
There is a slow leak there drop or 5 per day so will replace that soon but it's not urgent.

Can sigh a breath of relief that this 2nd hand merc wasn't hiding any nice suprises within.

Mechanic put in Semi Synthetic engine oil. Durablend 10W/40 is this the best for my model merc? '89 w124 230E
My Silver 1989 230E W124

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Sun 19 Jan, 2014 1:07 am

I thought I'd update this post of mine.

Some bad news to begin with.
- Water pump is leaking heavily
- Engine fan isn't working
- Aircon needs regassing

So the service has been booked. Poor thing was very close to overheating this past few days but it was doing well in our 40+ degree week.

Tonight I got to work installing white LED strips in the footwells. I wired them up to another set of door switches so they come on and off with the open and close of the doors. This mod makes the interior so much more fresh in the night time.

Now since the interior is blue, the reflection of the white lighting has tinged to a subtle blue which is nice.
Definitely worth the 6 hours of work ;)

That's all for now folks!
My Silver 1989 230E W124

Samarai
C Class

Post by Samarai » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:22 pm

Here's an update on my Merc - now named TYTANYK as per my number plates [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

So I've done and learnt lots since last posting on here.

-Colour coded the bumpers, mirrors and door strips
-Chrome door handle covers
-17" rims
-Fixed/replaced some components of the serpentine belt pulley and tensioner that was broken.
-5000k HID headlights
-18" rims
-Quad airhorns for laughs
-Slim window weathershields

-----------------------

----------------------
I was happy with the 17" rims, they looked modern but not too aftermarket but they were the wrong offset for the front guards and eventually I stumbled onto a set of new 18" wheels for a bargain. And I'm happy, they had some dish and really gave a younger feel to the car.

----------------------------

A year or so ago I looked for slim weathershields but no German sellers would ship to Australia. Last week I did a random search and found a Taiwan seller that did offer shipping here so now they're on. A small touch but a practical one which is great.

As she stands:

I'm loving every drive and get compliments every so often.

Here and there she stalls. A problem that's been niggling for a short while but she's a trooper!
Love it!
My Silver 1989 230E W124

Return to “Welcome to OZBENZ!”